Crazy Arse Tokay

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Zuligin, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Zuligin

Zuligin Embryo

I'm new to the Tokay scene... so this one caught me off guard.

My little guy, Toast, is quite fond of his pinkies.. So last night I scored a few from work and brought them home. Tossing one it, I left it at that and headed for bed, only to be awoken later in the night by a loud thumping. I got up to check it out, and Toast was up on the wall of his enclosure, pinkie in mouth and slamming it soundly against the glass beneath him. I guess I startled him, cause he dropped it.. minus a leg though. He ate it earlier today.. but I guess I just wasn't expecting him to be like that. My roomie has a Tokay as well... but he's never done anything quite like that...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Oscar

Oscar Member

lol.... the more I read about Tokays the madder they seem to me....

and hey, Howdy Neighbour.... I used to live in Dartmouth and Halifax, graduated from the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design longer ago than I care to admit, enjoyed my years there though

Cory

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Zuligin

Zuligin Embryo

Hehe... The Tokays I've seen are quite angry fellows... Mine has tried to swallow my roomies thumb when he picked him up... and his own drew blood on mulitple occasions. Ornery lil varmits they are..

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Ya my tokays are very nippy. Zuligin, you might not want to leave a pinkie mouse in there for as long as you stated. They can start to rot and might not be healthy for your tokay to eat. I give it like and hour and if it isnt gone, take it out. Only feed him about 1-2 pinkies a month as they are very high in fat. My tokays live off of large crickets and giant mealworms. And about 1 pinkie a month as a treat.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about getting a tokay gecko for a while now and that behavour does seem violent but cool maybe that poor mouse was not dead yet and the tokay was trying to finish the job?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

generally pinkie mice are frozen and then thawed out to give to the lizard. I think the tokay was just using its instint and killing the mouse again. LOL.

12. reako45

reako45 Member

Tokays are just plain crazy. I saw one in a herp shop that lunged and barked @ me! I've never seen any other creature do that.

reako45

13. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

i want a tokay they sound like very interesting creatures

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i was at a herp show here in ny and i told my aunt that i wouldnt get a tokay because of their temper and the breeder shut me up fast lol he took out 3 of his tokays and they just crawled from his arm to my hand perfectly fine. he said they usually tame down when they are captive bred

15. EvilSquish

EvilSquish New Member

Zuligin - Up until recently u were correct, but the other week my Rio went nuts on a poor rat pinkie... as a treat, he loves pinkies, and gobbles them up aggressivly.

Toast looked at me funny tonight, I think he "remembers" :D LOL

16. geckonewbie

geckonewbie New Member

17. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

and thats the whole reason i want to get a tokay one day. i dont know why, but i just love mean animals.

18. jimski427

jimski427 New Member

my male tokay is rather fiesty until i get him out and he chills on my hand.. its the enitial grab that makes him defensive... i can hand walk him when he is done with his fiestyness though... my female on the other hand... is a COMPLETE doll.. i can reach in and grab her without any worry in the world... i have been bitten by all 3 of my leos each... more than i have both my tokays put together :)

19. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

geckonewbie.
    Nice job knocking the dust off of a 4 year old thread !!

At least the other ones you cleaned off were 2 years and newer :D