CRESTED GECKO????

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by NYPDSWAT, Aug 19, 2004.

1. NYPDSWAT

NYPDSWAT Embryo

Hello everyone....Im writing in regards to purchasing a new herp. I have a couple boids and a beardie. But i think i want to go cresty cause they are sooo cool. One thing other than the cresty diet dust that just came out, what else do you feed these lil fellas? Im going to research before purchase of course. Can you feed them can-o-crickets? or do they have to be alive? I hate live crickets!! My beardie eats 3-6 freeze dried crickets a week for the protein. Are these can o crickets safe???? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!Thanks anyone with the info!!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Crested geckos feed on a variety of insects and fruits. Crickets, wax worms, small beetles, and other similar insects can be offered. Fruit baby food should be offered twice weekly for hatchlings and juvenile geckos and 3-4 times weekly for adults. The flavors that they enjoy are apricot, peach, pear, apple, and banana. This mixture can be spiked with a sprinkle of both spirulina and bee pollen once a week. Spirulina and bee pollen are nutrient dense super-foods that will enhance the nutritional value of the baby food.

Another good thing to remember, is to offer insects that are no larger than the distance between the geckos eyes, however adults can eat items that are slightly larger than this. You will also need to supplement the diet of your crested gecko with a calcium and vitamin D3 powder (Repcal is good). Hatchlings and juveniles should have their crickets lightly dusted with this powder twice weekly. Sprinkle a small amount into their baby food once a week as well. Breeding adults should have their crickets lightly dusted every other feeding and their baby food sprinkled every other feeding. Vitamin supplementation is also recommended for hatchling to adult crested geckos. Use a multi-vitamin made for reptiles and dust the insects with it once weekly (Reptivite is good).

They don't need to be alive, technically, but I've heard that the live foods are much better than the freeze dried ones...both taste-wise (??), and nutritionally. Also, a lot of herps rely on their sight to get their prey. It's easier for them to find their food sometimes. We must try to simulate their natural diet as closely as possible and their natural diet most definately consists of some insects. Live insects also keep our geckos active and stimulated.

Cresteds are beautiful creatures. My 2 main projects to do by fall is to start a small collared colony, and a crestie one as well. I've already began the Collareds, and so now I've been getting all of the neccessities, piece by piece for the cresteds. Plan on getting them at the NH show in October...unless I break down before then. ;)

Hope this helps,
    Rebecca