cross breeding

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by anoliskeeper77, Aug 19, 2004.

1. anoliskeeper77

anoliskeeper77 Embryo

hey there i was just woundring if anyone knows or have tried cross breeding lizards causeiv been thinkin i might cross breed my green anole with my hattit curly tailed lizard
    wat do u guys think?

any help would be appriciated

cheers
    scott

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i seriously doubt it would work - part of the definition of 'species' is "a group of animals that cannot successfully breed with any other group of animals and have viable offspring". if it's a different species, there's a 99% chance they CAN'T have babies.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

anyway even if they did it would be like a mule or a jackass it wouldnt be a new species but instead a new animal that is sterile and cannot breed with its own kind.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

Another problem is these species may not enjoy eachother. I reccomend not even trying to do this with almost any lizard, gecko and other herps. Have you ever heard of mixing anoles and haitians together to breed on the internet with any success? Secondly you hvave to think. haitains are releated to the iguana. Anoles, well I don't know what else there related to except anoles. Second is size differenece. Haitians can get upto 14-16 inches. Green anoles, do not get close to that. I don't think parts would fit:)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. helmethead

helmethead New Member

why would you want to do that?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

okay guys, lets get off anoliskeeper's back here. he just thought it might produce a cool new animal and wanted to ask if he should try it out.

whether he's read anything about breeding those species together on the internet has *nothing* to do with any of this.

however, i must reinforce the idea that housing different species together is BAD 99% of the time. one individual or species almost always kills/eat/stresses out/poisons/pushes around/harms/annoys the other species/individual. a breeding situation could be even worse.

12. anoliskeeper77

anoliskeeper77 Embryo

cheers guys for the advice i was just checkin if anyone thought it would be a good idea (guess not) but there is one thing when i bought the both of these lizards i bought them both out of the same cage the had 5 browns in 3 curlys and 4 greens , would it be possible to breed greens with browns or greens with bark anoles

just one other thing i would like you to have a look at this site http://leaplizard.com/bios/who.html

13. herpslave

herpslave Member

Personally I do not support them being a more popular pet then a dog. if they were to outnumber the number of dogs or cats they would be like an iguana. I support breeding. But for mass marketing beardies for pet shops just because she thinks kids should have one is not a good thing to do. Most likely if that happens there will be much too much abuse close to what iguanas experience...

14. Hummingbird

i agree with herpslave on this one. i'd hate to see yet *another* green iguana situation.

15. anoliskeeper77

anoliskeeper77 Embryo

i think the woman is trying to promote that she had so to speak created a miniture beardie plus i dont think it will over take dogs or cats because as u guys said cross bred reps are sterile

and wat do u guys mean wen u say a green iguana situation?