Do geckos like the feel of being petted?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by KillaCam518, Apr 27, 2009.

1. KillaCam518

KillaCam518 Embryo

Occasionally I take my index finger and start at the top of his nose and lightly and gently run my finger down his spine and stop right where the tail connects to the abdomen. When I do it, he conforms to the trail of my finger down his back. I know its self explanatory if he likes it or not but what do they acknowledge being petted as (since he is a wild animal)?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

im sure that some of them like it, but most hate it from what ive seen. i only have one leo that likes to be pet, and she only likes to be pet on her head or the sides of her tail.

granted it doesnt have the same meaning as it does to a furry pack animal. my rats enjoy being pet because it both feels good and its like us grooming them, which means affection to most furry animals. reptiles dont understand affection, and i dont think they understand being groomed by another living being, but im sure that some enjoy it just because it feels good

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Domino

Domino New Member

I pet my leo all the time whenever he is out. I found that it helped to tame him. He has never tried to jump off me, squirm or escape.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

It depends, if you pet them roughly (or have dry hands) they will not like it, I am sure they do not know what it means and maybe tolerate it. It might be bothersome to them getting petted on the head, because you are basically just tapping on their head.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LinkFookedZelda

LinkFookedZelda New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

12. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

none like it..

Imagine someone 10 times your size pulling you out of your house at any hour of the day or night.. to rub your head... you would be terrified!

They arent dogs...

Enjoy watching and caring for them.. but let them be a lizard.

13. Domino

Domino New Member

[​IMG]

:)

14. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I think mine enjoy having certain parts of their head rubbed. It seems like they have an itchy spot right above and behind their ear. When I rub them there, they push into it, and they don't try leave at all. When I pet other parts of them, especially their belly, legs, or feet, they show that they are not happy about it by trying to get away.

I also think that it is good to handle them regularly so that they are use to it, and if you have a medical issue come up (particularly thinking of shed issues here), both you and they will be more comfortable with the handling it takes to clear things up.

15. coosiver

coosiver New Member

I know my one leo loves being pet (when he's in the mood). Like LittleLouie's leo, he only likes having his head rubbed. Especially between his eyes. He pushes into my finger when I'm doing it. He's also the one who won't eat sometimes until he's taken out and held and also "begs" to come out for people time. He tolerates (sometimes) having his body rubbed, but I know he doesn't really like it.

My other leo doesn't require or like as much human attention. So I think it's completely dependent on the animal itself. By saying that all leo don't like being stroked is like saying all dogs love having the belly rubbed. It's a complete generalization and is inaccurate. I would say probably more likely than not leos don't like or want that much human attention but there are some who do.

Also, I don't pull my leos out to give them attention. The only time they get pulled out of their hides is when I need to clean the tank. They only get attention when they are out or poking their heads out so they know they are exposing themselves not me exposing them.

16. Geekoo

Geekoo New Member

just like people animals alike have diffrent personalities.

calling there alikes and differenceas by species just seems predjudice to me.

i too have a gecko who enjoys a back rub after a good meal,he just lays there belly floped down head in air licking his lips..... :) wow hat sounds goofy..

also i like your vladimire linkfoot and i agree he do gots a smiley face on his head :) <--- like that lol