Dont like being held anymore :(

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by treyclash13, Apr 17, 2009.

1. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

Okiez so its been about 5 days they have been n the new tank. Spike n Sasha still loving it. Runnin round playn n baskin just lovin life lol. been feeding em better and i thnk they r some happy dog gone uros lol. i love them 2... now wen i try to hold em they haul butt to get away from me. they use to be kinda chill but now they just tear out and high tail it?? will they ever calm bak down n lemme hold em?? he is alot more active then her. she usually just chills under somethng and sleeps lol... lazy woman.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

If a uro sits in your hand and doesn't do any thing, that is a sign of a sick, cold, unhappy uro.
    Now they are in the correct setup you will find they wont want to be held any more, as time goes on.
    They are just being normal healthy uro's, shy and nervous.
    You should be aware by now that uro's are to be looked at rather than handled.
    If you want a "cuddly" type lizard then Beardie's are far better.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

alrightiez. well i got them 2 n the gecko now. a beardy is next but its gonna be a good long while until that happens.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Kt_has_her_first_lizard

Kt_has_her_first_lizard New Member

The last time I took my Luke to the vet she was astonished at how mellow he was - he just sat in her hand....chillin - and he was quite healthy! He also loves to be held! you put your arm in to feed him and up ur arm he goes! i understand it may be the norm but...might not actually mean there is something wrong

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

As always every lizard is different, some chill others dont.
    If you get one that does chill like yours seems to have done, well done your lucky :lol:
    I was speaking generally there when I say about sick, cold etc.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Mine will sit in my hand only for a minute before trying to get away. Those claws are sharp!

12. pethuman

pethuman Embryo

Mine has learned to tolerate handling because I take him to schools and have shared him with my university classes often to educate people about the uromastyx. I find that when he freaks out, I'll cup my hand over his body as if it's a burrow, warm and dark, and he calms down. :) When we get home, he hides for a while but he always gets treats afterwards.

He's a 9 inch mali uromastyx.

My philosophy with reptiles has always been if you own them they need to know that handling is inevitable (and really important so you can check them out health-wise.) If you don't touch them often, expect a shy and nervous lizard, but I believe most can be desensitized to it. Don't give up! Likely there are exceptions, but you never know until you try.

You said they "don't like" being handled anymore, but the operative word there is "like". I doubt any lizard really enjoys being restrained, but some tolerate it way better than others. Just be glad you don't have a monitor hehe.

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

Bruno is right on (as always) the behavior you are seeing is totally normal. Now that your uros are getting more comfortable in their big tank they should just be left alone and let to relax :D

14. speaxia09

speaxia09 Embryo

I just had the misfortune of listening to a song called "Put a Donk On It." I'll let you google for it if you're feeling like you need some pain in your life.