Eating habbits

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by JJ., Apr 11, 2013.

1. JJ.

JJ. New Member

Just wondering how much I should feed my bearded because he will easily eat around 50-60 crickets on a good day

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

How old is he?

You should offer juvenile dragons insects 2-4x daily, allowing them to consume as many appropriately sized prey items as I'd like until they lost interest (or after ~15mins of feeding). This often equates to anywhere from 30 to upwards of 100 crickets in a single day for growing dragons.

Once you dragon hits sub-adulthood, insect feedings can be reduced to 1x daily and emphasis should be put on salad. As an adult, the dragon's diet should be heavily vegetarian and he should only be offered insects a couple of times weekly.

Jaedon likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JJ.

JJ. New Member

He will be a year old this summer I think July but I don't know his exact birthday.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Typically by a year of age a dragon is considered an adult or sub-adult, depending on how he was reared throughout much of his life. A dragon reared on the diet outlined above throughout most of its juvenile months will reach maturity and gain size faster than a dragon raised on a more modest diet.

If your dragon is at or near adult size, I'd begin feeding on the sub-adult feeding regiment outlined in my previous post. Over the next few months, I'd try to make salad a central focus of the diet, with insects taking the back seat to a full bowl of greens and veggies. With time, gradually decrease insect feedings until an adult diet is established that is comprised of roughly 80%+ vegetarian food items.

As babies, dragon's focus their food energy on growth. As adults, a more vegetarian diet is required. Feeding an adult dragon for a prolonger period on a "baby" feeding schedule can eventually lead to health complications such as fatty liver disease. Its amazing how much longer captive bearded dragons are living now that we have learned more about how to properly feed and care for them - my vet was telling me of a dragon he's beeen seeing for at 13 years now who is going strong, and he attributes it to being fed a very varied salad-heavy diet.