Elijah's Viv When He Upgrades

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by LittleMick, Jan 20, 2010.

1. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

Ok, I know it's a long way off before Elijah moves into a viv, but I wanted to get a design together well before hand and get peoples thoughts on it I was going to just do a concept drawing, but didn't think the overall impression would come across to well so I threw in a 3D design. The design is 2 fold, first if the theory of Large Enclosures Stressing Out Small Snakes is true then this should alleviate the problem, and second it gives a few good options for changing the viv around to give him a change. It would probably be a 3' viv, but a 4' is tempting.

Right, the overall design woud look like this, it is NOT to scale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I would have a shelf in there with a hole in it, this cuts the viv in half, so making 2 smaller spaces, the hole would have branches with vines coming through so if Elijah is feeling fearless he can still go through if he wants to. This iswith all the decor and hides removed.

[​IMG]

The shelf would be held up by a wooden rim around the sides and back, this particular design has the shelf cut short of the front, I might change that.

[​IMG]

And having a removable shef gives me more options for changing around the scenery

[​IMG]

I was going to put another heat mat on the top shelf as well so he coud thermoreguate up there as well, But there were some points that I was going to include about a heat mat on the upper level.
    - The combined heat of 2 heat mats in the viv, would it get too hot? I'm thinking I could control both mats from one stat? Or maybe get a twin stat rather than 2 stats. Would I need a thermometer for each mat or just that side in general? At the end of the day I still need to monitor substrate level temps for both mats

-Not so much as a problem, more of a pain. If I have a second mat up top, I would have to either remove it on the months the shelf is out, having to keep taking the plug off, OR maybe stick it to the ceiling or wall if they are bare enough to hold it.

Thoughts and opions appreciated.

LM

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LittleMick

LittleMick Member

Bump :eek:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rinako

rinako New Member

I'm not sure about it being too hot but just watch the temp. And its a really cool cage design.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

A twin stat should work. I'd probably use two thermometers just to be on the safe site. You may not actually need two heatmats. When i had my multilevel enclosure, the snake would just go over to the hot side when he was too cold, and return to the cool side to calm down. (it was like your enclosure with shelf like levels) But i dunno depends on the snake i suppose. It worked for me and my snake though.

And i just wanted to say that those designs are excellent! Which program did you use to make them?