EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by LTGRguy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. LTGRguy

LTGRguy Embryo

any1 out there please help me!!! freya my gravid female long tail grass lizard is in trouble! i came home and found her breathing REALLY slowly at times as slow as 1 breath every 15 seconds but it's a bit faster now. and at times she seems paralyzed but then she maganges to move around a little bit but not very much. I'm really worried please help, at 1 point i thot she was dead. they have pinhead crix to eat and i misted the terrarium and the temp was 22 when i got home it's now at 25C. Any1 please i'm desperate and i've called every vet withing 200 km and beyond and no1 can help. cmon guys i really need u right now.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Hopefully everything is okay. Unfortunately I can't really tell you anything except that she could either be getting ready to lay eggs or is eggbound. If she is eggbound then she needs a course of pitocin to help her pass the eggs. If it's really bad then the eggs may have to be removed surgically. But honestly, those are only guesses. It's too hard to determine what could be wrong. It could be respiratory or parasitic infection also. But without seeing her, it's nearly impossible for me to say.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LTGRguy

LTGRguy Embryo

Thank u very much, she seems to be getting better now i think she'll be fine, her breathing is faster and more regular and she certainly isn't paralyzed anymore. i'll watch the temp carefully and make sure she is eating well and keep the terrarium well misted and i'll let every1 know how it turns out. for some reason she seems to prefer the cool end where Thor is almost always at the warm end, dont know if that means anything tho. i saw them mating 2days ago and was told it would be about a week from now that the eggs would be laid or maybe thats after the first mating and they'll keep doing it afterwards? i am SO relieved to see she's doing better as they r my first herps and i've only had them a little while now

Cheers

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

hope everything will be ok and she lays her eggs on time and everything! good luck!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LTGRguy

LTGRguy Embryo

thnx mythdragonlover but i spoke too soon. she's gone :cry:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Oh noooo....I'm SOOOO SORRY....

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's wrong with herps. Their signs of illness are so different and unfortunately, many times they act 'better' when really they are on the way out. Hopefully Thor is doing well. I'd keep an eye on him though. Just to make sure he's not sick. Since these are your first herps, you may want to take him to a vet anyways, just to get what some call a "wellness check-up". It may help catch any signs of disease earlier. Plus the vet can go over the signs of illness in lizards so you know what to look for. Especially if you explain what happened to the female.
    Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope everything goes okay with the other little guy.

13. KaMiKaZeE

KaMiKaZeE Member

Man that sucks. I hate it when people's pets die. If you still have her body, I would take it with you to the vet when you have Thor looked at. Maybe they can figure out what went wrong and help you prevent it next time. Sorry man. :D

14. mythdragonlover

aww... i'm soo sorry... i'll keep her in my prayers tonight. and i hope thor is ok too... its sad when stuff like this happens but we have to remember also taht when it does happen at lease they are at rest.

best of wishes,
    myth

15. LTGRguy

LTGRguy Embryo

i'll take him in next monday cuz thats when i get paid and i spent my last dime literally on crix. i looked around but no1 can float me a loan. the trouble is there isnt any1 anywhere close that specializes in herps but he is looking better than ever so i'm not too worried.
    Thank you everyone

16. mythdragonlover

Well if you ever really need a vet and you don't have money what you could do is polietly ask if you can pay em later. and usually the vet will say yes, especially if its an emergency.