Eye Issue

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by anthonyc, Sep 27, 2008.

1. anthonyc

anthonyc Embryo

So I am new to my Chinese WD ive had him for 2 weeks now and im not sure if im always completely paranoid or when there is something actually wrong. I believe he has an eye infection but I guess I cant say so for sure. He has trouble opening his right eye in the morning until I mist my tank. I guess it must be getting crusted shut? Before I got my WD I looked around online to see what the usual price of a vet would be for him. I have now learned I should have just called a local vet. Most people said a vet is cheap usually $30 - $45 but yesterday I called around to 3 of the vets in the area that care for WD's and the cheapest visit I could find was $80. After spending all the money on his tank and set up and on him I have to admit I am not in the position where I can afford such an expensive visit to the vet that will probably end up being even more if there is something actually wrong. Ive read around and no one really gives advice aside to go to a vet, which is the best advice but in my position I just cant do it and I do care about this situation. This is why I hope someone can give me some sort of advice on what I can do for him on my own at home. Or what exactly it is the vet would do for him?

if you need additional info please ask, I just need some help.

thank you, Anthony.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

Well to start off welcome to the life of being a CWD owner. You really should see about getting to a vet, but if you are unable to then you are unable to and there is no need for us to hassle you then lol. Ok so I personally had this happen once, and have seen it happen to many others, but before i jump to conclusions what substrate do you have your darling on? Mine was caused by him being on the coconut husk substrate stuff...according to my vet they are highly allergic to it, especially if it gets in their eyes or mouth. Please let us know all about the tank and whats in it such as:
    how do you heat them
    does he/she have ample swimming room, do they have a dish, or do you mist them
    do they get uvb
    how big is the enclosure....and so on, it really will help us help you further.
    best of luck with the little one!