Feed Fertilized Eggs

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by CornSnakeBabe, Jan 31, 2005.

1. CornSnakeBabe

CornSnakeBabe Embryo

Just letting eveyone know...

Remember that if you feed your lizard eggs, its ok for him or her to have a normal chicken egg every now and then, but because I know a lot of people depend on eggs to get their tegus to eat, please realize that a diet of unfertilized eggs (the normal ones) can lead to a biotin deficiency...something about not letting something bind to a receptor...but you can buy fertilized chicken eggs in just about any grocery store in the health/natural food section, or just ask.

Also, when you crack open a fertile egg, dont worry, there is no fetus inside. it looks exactly like any other chicken egg, its just that the chemical reactions going on inside the egg once it has been fertilized are so important for a lizards complete diet.

Oh yeah...and if you buy eggs for your lizard or for yourself, remember to be sure to buy free-range chicken eggs...that means the birds get to move. otherwise they are locked up in 11x11 inch cages and never see daylight & never walk around or socialize. We all love animals here, and although we may never change the world, at least on a big scale, at least don't contribute to some animal's suffering, even if it is just some silly chicken.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

I plan on trying eggs soon. I'll also include some fruits in the eggs!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

thanks for the info...that is my tegu's favorite thing to eat besides fuzzies...