Feeding, no this isnt about a ball that stopped eating :)

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by JFJ, Feb 10, 2005.

1. JFJ

JFJ Embryo

Sorry for the long title. I had a previous post on me wanting to get a ball. I found a really good local shop that is family owned and they seemed well knowledged (from what I could tell).

They had 2 balls in stock, I held one and all I can say is I cant wait to get one. I asked all kinds of questions, but the one that concerned me was that these snakes are fed live. He said that they had tried F/T but they just didnt like it. Should I be concerned with this, because I was planning on F/T but I hear thats a very difficult task to get them to change? The two reasons that I didnt want to fed live were harm to the snake and they could be more aggressive.

My only other question was in reference to a habitat for the snake. I was thinking of building my own and I was wondering if using polycarb to make the cage would be a bad idea?

Thank you for your help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

As far as switching rats from live to FT, some snakes switch easily, some take longer and some never will. The ones that never will are definately in the minority. Most snakes can be switched. Now the snake being more aggresive from feeding live is a myth or flat out lie. Regardless of feeding live or FT or PK they are still displaying the exact same feeding responses and actions. They strike, they coil, they eat. Your biggest (and only in my opinion) concern with feeding live is the potential for the rat biting or clawing into your snake.

Many of the top rack and cage makers like Boaphile and Animal Plastics use some type of plastic/pvc/poly to make their cages. I honestly do not know the specifics about polycarb so I do not know. I would research what the others use and what you are planning to use and see if there are any dangers with the material you plan on using.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nightrider

nightrider New Member

you could make a really nice cage out of MDF with a lexan front window. I'm starting mine next week when i'm home for vacations.