Found this lizard outside today. What is it?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by thrivana, Aug 23, 2010.

1. thrivana

thrivana Embryo

[​IMG]

I left a bucket of expand-o substrate outside overnight. I went outside to get it. When I lifed up the bucket, I saw it scrurry from what seemed like under it. I was naked and I wanted to catch it. I live in townhouses and have a walk way behind me and an elivated row of townhouses behind me. Needless to say, ALOT of people could see me. But, o well. I ran out on my back porch and put a cup over it.. Yep. And not its mine. Except I duno what it is. I caught a "blue belly" that ran into my old work a year ago. I moved it across the country for a few months and set it free. Thats actually what got me into lizards. Anyways, id like to keep this one alive and well also. So.. what is it and what do I do? If you need to measure it, go grab a piece of paper :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

you should set it free back into the wild. keeping wildlife is stressful on animals and illegal in most states

its some type of skink i think. im not sure what type but it has the same body and head shap as alot of the smaller skinks

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. thrivana

thrivana Embryo

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizar...arietalis.html

Coronado Skink

It shows where they come from in san diego so I know those are the ones.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

yes, definatley a skink.

I have to say though that I agree with Shanna. Its really not right to take these guys from the wild. Its ok to keep them for a few days and observe them, but to try and convert them to a life in captivity is just not fair to them. Enjoy this skink for what it is, a beautiful, wild, free creature. Hang onto it for a day or so - take some nice pictures and then give it the gift of freedom. Its much more than you could ever provide for it in captivity.

There are many similar species of skink that are available as captive bred specimens for "pets" they are unique, fun and interesting species - hardy and long-lived. Why not allow this experience to motivate you into tracking one of these species down, doing all the proper research on husbandry, and getting yourself a great new critter!!!

I sugest the Fire Skink, for one.