Friends of leopard gecko's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by raggamuffin, Nov 8, 2004.

1. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

I have recentley brought 2 leopard geckos as I have mentioned in previous messages and was wondering if there were any other species of lizard that would work well in the same tank as them, I would like to have another type of Lizard but dont have the space for another tank yet, I just dont want to introduce anything that would't be friends with them. Any suggestions anyone?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. michaell

michaell New Member

I don't believe mixing is recommended at all.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

mixing reptile species never a good thing. leos can be pretty territorial and so are any other reptile that has the same needs as a leo. if you were to put in another species with your leos, they would kill each other

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

With most animals, mixing species is a bad idea. Even with something simple like fish it can get ugly. Some animals carry germs and such that are harmless to them, but can be deadly to something else. Plus, it seems like lizards have very specific needs for temp/humitidy and none over-lap very well. Of course, that's just what I gathered when I researched getting a leo so I could easily be wrong.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

DaCubs...seems like you got it exact. take beardies for example...they have different bacteria in there stomach then a leo does...that alone would cause the leo to become sick if kept in the same tank. not to mention size differences

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what about African Fat Tails and leos? They seem to have very similar requirements, but I've never heard of anyone housing them together. They seem to be very closely related, too.

12. raggamuffin

raggamuffin New Member

ok then, thanks guyz, it seems like a bad idea I shal just have to let them be and wait until I have room for more tanks before i get more species.

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

african fat tails need much higher humidity and that would cause respiratory infections in the leos which would kill them

14. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

That would be a pretty good reason why no one does it.