Gary the WD

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by John_WaterDragon, Jul 8, 2006.

1. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

hey, ok I'll start by posting pics of his enclosure because I don't have any good pics of him because my cam is so bad it makes him loook brown when he is green :( Also "Gary" is unsexed as of yet, but I still refer to him as a "he" for easy refrence :D I don't know the exact age of gary, but if someone can give me the Size-Age ratio then i'll measure him and find ou his age :D

so heres the pics (p.s I'm posting the links to the images as they are to big to be posted here :( )

http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811495349.jpg
    http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811531440.jpg
    http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811561299.jpg
    http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811574556.jpg

I've got some more pics of him on my phone which i'll try and get up later :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

These photos are not to big for here, they are the normal size we recommend for posting :D

Nice waer Dragons

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Oh he's adorable. How long is he? He looks just like my lil (not so lil anymore) guy when I first brought him home!

Very cute, nice tank setup also!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Cool WD. Garys a good name

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. John_WaterDragon

Ok thanks for confirming that for me Cheri ;) He is 10.5 inches from nose to tip of tail so can anyone give me an aprox age? Thanks :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. John_WaterDragon

Right got some better pics of him including one feeding Pic :-P

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT

Yaay I found out gary is 1 year old ;) I'm really shocked I thought he was so much younger. I found out here if anyone else is interested > http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/age.htm

12. shortygirl

according to that chart mines at the end of the 18 month old count - wow. I got him when he was about 7 inches...and that was on 3/19....hmmm...I'll have to think on that (too hot to think right now lol)

13. John_WaterDragon

Does anyone think Gary looks big enough to be 1 year old? I dunno how big he should be at 1 Year old so I don't know if that page is reliable.

14. CheriS

I do not think that Gary is a year old, he has all the markers of a very young water dragon. I would guess.... and that is just a guess since so many factors can affect their size, but by his appearence, I'd say 5-6 months old.

Unless he had a really poor diet or was not fed properly in the past (which I doubt since he does have the length), he still has that big head compared to body and all mouth look of a young dragon that is under 6 months old. Their body does lenghten out more when they are a year old. Doesn't the place you got him from know when he was hatched or they got him?

15. shortygirl

I don't think your guy is 1 year old any more than I think mine s ayear & a half! I think Cheri's age placement is probably right. Just wait til your guys hits his first growth spurt, you'll see how quickly they can gain weight/length with time, care love & ALOT of food!

16. John_WaterDragon

Well I'm heading into the shop tomoro for another batch of Locusts so I'll enquire there and see what they say and compare it to your predictions Cheri. I Can't wait 'till the little guy starts growing some :-P

Could anyone who has a Sexed CWD post a pic of their underside as I can't find any pics like that to compare gary too as I want to know for good whether I've been wrongly calling him a boy :-P lol

Thanks,
    John

17. commanderoz

commanderoz New Member

well it would be very difficult to tell what sex he is at his age. around 16" or 18" you can really start to tell. thats when all the characteristics for sexing apears if im wrong please correct me.

18. CheriS

Some claim they can tell before that, but don't look to me for accurate sexing of them. I have one I raised from a baby as a rescue and thought it was a male until it was 2 years old and dropped several eggs. Obviously not my area of expertise

19. shortygirl

I call my guy...well, my guy. I have his pic up other places, so I won't post it again, but to me, the spikes on his neck ridge look characteristically (wow that looks waaay too long lol - I think I need more coffee) like a males, and the extend down to the tail quite a ways. He just puts off a "I'm a dude" persona...I don't care if he's male or not lol, he'll always be my not so lil dude. I think, like Cheri pointed out above, that it will be easier to tell when he gets older, I'd say the same for your "guy" as well, John,...and I don't want to have him sexed by the vet because...well it just looks way to much like an OB exam, and that's rather uncomfortable to say the least! :?

20. John_WaterDragon

Yeah I'm not going to get him probed, I think he looks like a male because you can like see the bone along the spikes and i've read that that is a male characteristic. Anyway I'm not particularly bothered about the sex, would just like to know what it is :-P

21. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

i fed him in my shop and he got 6 a day he was well took care of lol

22. herman_n_harold

herman_n_harold Embryo

he looks very similar to herman n harold (i dont know if they male or female either lol) when i first got them, they only grown a little, i got them at xmas, herman tho hurt his lip so he hasnt grown too much as he had trouble eating for a while, he is now the smallest where as before he hurt his lip he was the biggest.

i have heard a few stories about feeding dragons that are that small, some say dont feed them mealworms and some say you can, the vet says i can. i been feeding them wax worms, meal worms and crickets, they not too keen on crickets tho. is there anything that i can try feeding them with?

23. John_WaterDragon

Locusts? I feed gut loaded Crix & Locusts to gary to keep him interested.

24. herman_n_harold

herman_n_harold Embryo

ive never seen locusts or gut loaded crix, will have to shop around and see what i can find. me n my bloke also syringe feed them a mixture of different vitamins to keep them healthy, they like eating that!!

25. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member