getting a savannah monitor need help

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by spike8, Aug 9, 2006.

1. spike8

spike8 New Member

ok im getting a savannah monitor today and cant wait thats one of my acomplishments done it was to have a monitor.
    but i need help i would just like to know what they eat when they eat housing heat lighting any help you be greatly appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BeardToCrest

BeardToCrest New Member

You should not be buying it today, if you don't have their enclosure already setup with correct tempertures, nevermind if you don't know all of that. My advice to you, read this care sheet http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/lizards...nah-monitor.php and others, get some advice from experienced keepers, set up his cage and make sure there is correct tempertures in it for at least a week, then go out and buy your moniter.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. spike8

spike8 New Member

yeah but theres the problem i have to get it today im getting it for free of a friend hes in good condition shes moving so i said i will take it

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

How big is it? Does your friend have a cage for it? If not, when can you get everything you need? Most likely around($150)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. spike8

spike8 New Member

ok i got it.
    i got the terrarium light the lizard some rocks and logs and a tunnel for nothing. so im am extremly happy.
    the only thing im not happy about is that its on blue sand which i dont really like but it been on that all its life and is very happy with it.
    i threw in a cricket to see if it was hungary and he kept missing it so i picked it up with tongs and the cricket bit its own leg off and then hid onder a rock. im not too sure if he got it.
    oh by the way he is a savanah monitor about 2 feet and his name is marley but right now hes cudddled up in his log tunnel :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

How big is the tank?

Ditch the sand. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get yourself a bag of cypress mulch for $2. Alot of people actually use a mixture of dirt from their back yard (it has bacteria in it that helps break down waste) and cypress mulch. I myself use a 50% Mulch, 30% dirt (not sand), and 20% leaf litter.

12. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Getting dirt with a sand mixture is a lot better. Cypress mulch does not hold a burrow but soil and said will be better. Soil and sand is also similar to what they live on in the wild.

13. spike8

spike8 New Member

the tank is huge im gonna ditch the sand pretty soon i think and trow in dirt.
    i fed him a live mouse the mouse climed all over marley. then he walked off and bam gone lol i will try too post some pictures of the tank size

14. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Pics of the tank would be nice! Measure the inside lip Length X Width, then measure the Height. I can tell what size it is from that. Try to get his tank set up the way you're keeping it as soon as possible. That way he can get use to his new home and get to trust you.

15. spike8

spike8 New Member

hes a grumpy lizard every time i try to stroke his back he hissed at me lol i will try to get some pics up though

16. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Just remember, he has just been through alot of stress. Once you get his tank set up don't bother him unless it means cleaning or feeding. You want to let him settle in for a month or two minimum before trying to handle him.

17. Z_Tous

Z_Tous New Member

And another thing don't take the hissing too lightly, he will only do it so many times before he latches ahold of your nearset finger or knuckle.

18. Razaiel

Razaiel New Member

That's good - means he's normal and healthy :p

Now you're putting in dirt stuff that will be much better for him. How's his temps?

Like the others have said, just let him get used to seeing you about and housekeeping his viv. At the moment he thinks you think he's a ready meal sat there and is terrified of you. In time he'll start coming out more and basking in your presence - but it won't happen overnight.

19. spike8

spike8 New Member

yeah thanks for the info im stroking his tail every day so he can realise i dont cause him any harm. he eating well and im working on getting cash for the dirt (being 13 with no allowence with to lizards is hard work lol)
    i should have the dirt soon though he has stopped shedding and his colours are great. yesterday he nearly bit me but i pulled my hand away
    luckly. meh if he bites me he bites me lol my fault for invading his space lol. well thats all for now cant wait untill the mouse comes home lol

20. spike8

spike8 New Member

here he is sleeping on the first day long day for marley
    hope it works [​IMG][/img]

21. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

That sand is defiantely bad news. Go to a farm and dig up some top soil and sand. Almost anything would be better than that. Also give him a place where he can hide completely. Make sure you keep his basking temps around 115F and the ambient temp. 75-80F. Nice looking lizard though, doesn't appear to be in too bad of shape. He could use a little fattening up!

22. Razaiel

Razaiel New Member

And fattening up shouldn't be a problem - monitors love their food :p

Not sure about starting with the tail end though - - they normally don't tolerate (at first) any parts of their bodies being touched apart from their heads (scary I know - that's where the teeth are LOL)

If the soil is expensive - how are you going to get on with feeding? They eat a LOT of bugs - mine costs me a fortune in locusts - and the bugs are good for them as it gives them exercise.

23. spike8

spike8 New Member

i have a hiding place its on the other side of the tank he normally sleeps there. one of the reasons i stroke the tail is becasue hes in a corner sometimes and he would have to move to get me lol so i more time to get away. hes eating fine i feed him bugs and the occansional mouse.
    but hes fine i just need to get dirst instead of the sand.

24. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Raz, just out of curiosity you must live in the UK. How would I go about getting locusts areound the US?

25. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

You can't get locust in the US because there illegal. Locust tend to swarm which would destroy all our crops and grass lands. It's so cold in the uk that the locust don't have the right temps all year around.