Getting a uro ornate baby

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Sharman Wisdom, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sharman Wisdom

Sharman Wisdom HOTM Winner December

Since a few of you been posting about uros, I was reading all your posts and find them quite interesting and I was always curious about them. I think my neighbor used to breed them. I will be getting mine tommorrow. I really was not planning on getting another animal, since my rep room is overcrowded being winter time. I'm getting an early Birthday gift to my self! I read info online, ordered a good book and have its cage ready[thanks to your good info] ground up some beans and ordered some bee pollen granules. I also have fresh vegts.

naykid likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. naykid

naykid Member

Welcome to the uromastyx forum:)You sound quite busy, with building an enclosure for your snake & getting into uros. Uromastyx can be a bit tricky, you certainly don't want to spread yourself too thin. What kind of uro & where are you getting it from? How big is the enclosure? What are you using for bedding? What supplements are you going to use? What lights & wattage & temp will you be able to offer the uro? If you could answer some questions we would certainly be happy to help you have the best success with your new uro:)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sharman Wisdom

No, I'm not the one building a snake enclosure. Its a uro ornate baby, buying directly from a breeder. Bird seed for substrate, 20 gallon long for right now til it gets bigger, I have bigger tanks in storage. I have a 75 watt Zoo med basking bulb and 18 inch zoo med bulb. I have a hide cave, slate rock for basking and a piece of drift wood, small bowl of ground up beans, lentils and split peas. Another bowl for fresh vegts. I have a digital therm. with a probe. I need to find out the temps. Get back to you on that, I heard they like a basking spot of 120 and a cooler area of 80-90, is that right? Thanks for writing!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Yup, that is all correct! You don't have to grind up the beans and lentils and such. Also I found out with the salads is that they actually like the big leaves, they like to rip them up and tare pieces to eat :) ...and they like to drag them around the tank, lol. So far my little ornate is right on target with the 3 year growth to adult plan... he's a year old and really is still very small compared to the other uros on here. The 20gal tank should last you seriously almost 3 years.
    Pictures when you get him or her!!! :)

naykid likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. naykid

naykid Member

Well I'm sorry i was reading in the enclosure forum & just recalled your profile name.birdseed is a great choice that's what i use. The hit spot is min 115 up to 130. Night temps no lower than 75, unless cycling for breeding.It all sounds liked you're on the right path. It would be advisable to get an infrared temp gun, to show exact temp on the basking area. Also get a digital scale to keep track of the weight changes.Being so young 10gr. is hard to tell just by holding them & it could mean the difference between a critical situation and a stable one. Post a pict soon, I'm excited for you:)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sharman Wisdom

Thanks, wow 115 to 130 is real hot! My neighbor has a digital scale, where do you buy a infrared temp gun?

12. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

There are tonnes on eBay... I got mine from a local HVAC/R supplier (although I am in the trade).

I've got this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fluke-568-In...in_0&hash=item2ebec46078&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1219

Although its alot more than you need for checking your uro enclosure lol. Honestly check your local home improvement store (Home Depot/Lowes/whatever else there is) and see what they have. All you need is a basic one.

Enjoy your Uro, they are fun!

13. naykid

naykid Member

Wow!!! where have you been? Good to hear from you:) how's your uro?

14. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

I've been ridiculously busy... the strange weather this year has kept work absolutely swamped, combined with the owner (my boss) being gone and me running the company has kept me pretty busy. Any other time is spent with my GF typically.

Angus is good! Growing (SLOWLY lol). He's still a character though! You know how Uro's are haha... how are yours?

StikyPaws312 and naykid like this.
  15. naykid

naykid Member

Dealing with these temps is why it's important to have a temp gun.

16. naykid

naykid Member

Mine are good,i lost one about 3 months ago, not sure why. The 4 remaining mails are great. I also got two Saharan females over the summer, they are big one is about 200, the other is about 150g. I hope to breed them to a Moroccan next year:)

17. Sharman Wisdom

Well I'll take a picture when he or she is done shedding.

18. naykid

naykid Member

That sounds great! There is a thread in the uromastyx forum on posting pics of your uro,i can't wait to see:)

Sharman Wisdom likes this.