got my own sav question

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by ryzard, Mar 13, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Ok. I should know this, and I think I did for awhile, but I wanna be sure. I see different pics of savs all the time, so why are some full-grown just BEASTS, they are absolutely enormous like my b/t, but other full-grown are 2-3 ft? I read that there are 2 types commonly sold on the market, Bosc and something else, but I cant quite remember. If anyone can comment on this it would be GREATLY appreciated, since I am set on giving one a home by the end of or next week
    My main concerns are: Are there 2 diff types? How large are everyone's here? Does anybody know where I would be able to get the smaller type (prob answer based on experience with yours)?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Also, if anyone knows of anyone who personally breeds monitors I would love to know. And if anyone knows of a place they would recommend to purchase an inexpensive sav I'll take it. But I really want to know if someone knows why there is that difference in sizes (hint hint: klik please respond :-P )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

lets see now....Bosc monitor is a savannah monitor nothing else, and there arent really morphs (sorry if i sound snotty i am not trying to be). instead it goes by the regin that the monitor is from. the darker gray sav is the one that tends to be on the smaller side usually getting around 3ft, but the lighter gray sav is the beast but there are exceptions. both animals grow extremely fast. it pretty much is about the area in africa they are from. to be honest i dont know the origin of either except the grasslands of africa. i know its not that much information, but i hope it helps. as for breeders, zoologicalimports.com but i am not sure if they are WC or CB call them and ask to speak with Mario he owns the place. they sell for $25. or if you are in NY you can just wait until the April reptile expo in white plains and pick one up for pretty much $10

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

klick do u know if the hamburg show on april 30 is going to have them?? the hamburg show i went to feb 26 the majority of the place was snakes but there were still alot of lizards like beradies leos ect. but there was no room to look at anything because it was SOO packed

alos, how come they are so inexpensive though? but then the ackies are $175

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

savs are easier to bred and import then an ackie, and also ackies are priced by their coloring whereas savs are pretty dull. i do not know if there are going to be any at the hamburg show, but if you look hard enough then i can guarentee there will be at least one person with savs. there are always tons of them at the White Plains show in NY

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryzard

ryzard New Member

yeah, it sort of helps, since I didn't notice the color difference in the size difference. I guess, like i said, it would just help if people w/ full growns could tell me how big theirs are & where they got theirs.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

my sav was only 10months and over 2ft long. he was a very dark gray coloring. i got him at a Petco

13. Bokelana

Bokelana New Member

i have a sav. book that has quite a few "morphs" but i think they are completley different species...im not sure. the only thing i have seen different in savys is different colorings.oh, as well as albino. klik, come to think of it i have seen you in just about every topic lol...u sure are a true herper! :D

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

lol thanks for the compliment. i like to do research on all herps whether i own them or not, since i want to be a herpetologist i figure i might as well start to learn