Green anaconda

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by Ejay123, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

Hello everyone :) i bought a green anaconda about 9 days back (baby only about 2.5 feet long) and i was wondering if anyone know how i can sex it (male or female i can't find any website that give info on these thing apart from they get big and can kill me) i am hoping it is a male (as i was told females just get too damn big) i am willing to go out and buy what i need... thanks guys the vets said they wanted 300$ just to sex it.. so i just payed to get it checked for worms or parasites.. and ide rather take a shot at saving 300$ by asking you guys

it has not aten yet ;) been about 2 weeks, i tried live and ive tried f/t baby rats...

anyone know any sites where i can buy a baby bermese python??? thanks

(the snakes are gonna live on my spare room, more then enough room and i live near a huge aZZ chicken farm so i can get hens for cheap when they get big)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

I ment to put *BURMESE* i suck at spelling please bare with me

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

sorry about all the questions, but does anyone know any good sites where i can order stuff from??? thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. spix14

spix14 Member

Hmmm. Maybe you should slow down on the burm until you get the hang of keeping this anaconda. Do you know how big they can actually get? We are talking potentially near 30 feet, and a LOT of bulk. The anaconda by itself would need the spare room. You're not planning on just throwing a burm and an anaconda in to share the room, are you? Then you also have to worry about setting the room up the keep the right temperature and humidity, which is easier said than done. Have you had any experience with snakes at all before this?

Anyway, so far as it not eating...
    What type of enclosure, and how big?
    How are you heating it, and what are the temps and humidity?
    How much are you handling it?

Also, 300 dollars is a bit ridiculous for sexing your snake, I would call around a bit more. A good reptile vet should do it for far less than that. I wouldn't try sexing it yourself as it involves using a probe and it is very easy to injure the snake if you do it incorrectly.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. spix14

spix14 Member

BTW, shouldn't this be in the boa forum, as it's about annies?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

Sorry about the mix up... i am a housing contractor (i work for my self) so i prtty much know how to do all that stuff as for snake ive ketp about 5 ball pythons for about 5 years, they were in my basement and i was having my brother come over to feed them (it gets COOOOLd in there) (i was on vaca) the power went out and my house dropped to about 45degs and only 1 was alive when i got back... i have no idea how my brother did not know... so now i am build a snake room out of a 25'x20' room(i know i need to get a girl but im only 23) as of now i am working on the heating, i am ordering some stuff... but as you can see the annaconda grows sllllooooowww as i am told by the vets, so that why i was looking for a burm as well

thankd if you have any more Q shoot

12. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

I think you jumped a little fast into an anaconda... they are not at all a "beginner" snake and they can be very stubborn when it comes to feeding, housing, and handling... even if it is a male, it can easily outgrow what you can do by yourself, so I sure hope you have someone that can help you with the everyday maintenance... and if it's a female, it's going to get huge... they do grow slow, but my male green is not even 3 years old and already 10 ft... I might have missed it in here, but where did you get the snake from?

and I'm sorry about the "beginner" snake comment, but I don't feel ball pythons even begin to compare to a green annie...

13. Miss_Murder

Miss_Murder New Member

My green anaconda still hasn't eaten and i've had him for year. it's really sad. i've taken him to the vet and still don't know for sure whats wrong w/ him. i think he was actually WC (wild caught) and could have a parasite.

14. spix14

spix14 Member

What does that mean, you're working on the heating? Does that mean you don't have any kind of heating on the snake at all? Also, still wondering what you are keeping it in, how much you're handling it, if you're planning on keeping it together with the burm you're considering, ect. I think you should try and get the annie on track before you even think about adding another snake.

And I really don't see what annies growing slowly has to do with getting a burm...you just want something that will rocket up while you wait for the annie to get huge, is that it? I'm kinda questioning your motives at this point. As was said, there is a HUGE difference between keeping one of the giants and a ball python...no one's ever been eaten by their ball python, for one.

I don't mean to offend but it seems like you are rushing into things without really thinking about the animal's well being.

15. Blake_Herman

thank you spix, thank you... ;)

16. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

i bought the anaconda from a reptile store... for 100$, it is in a wooden cage i made the other day... but it has been living in a bin as of now with 2x heat tapes set to 90degs and a normal heat pad set to 80 degs a huge bowl of water... very humid and warm. like the snake guys came to my house and told me it will work just find... but wouldnt u know it... i can't find a 150watt red light anywere (i bought blacks but they don't put out NEAR enough heat... my temp gun says the ground near the light is 90 and around is 80 and on the other side it is 70 or lower...... i will snap some pics give me a few hrs and plz don't start with that newbie stuff.. thanks for all the help spix blake and miss murder

17. spix14

spix14 Member

Alright, we got the heating question answered. You might think about getting a digital thermometer with a probe, the temp guns are great but you want something in there that will constantly monitor temps since heating accessories can sometimes malfunction. I take it you do have a thermostat since you said you set the tape and the pads to said temperatures?

How big is the cage you are keeping him in? What is the humidity? How much are you handling him? Do you know what the pet store was feeding him? I'm still trying to get to the bottom of why he isn't eating but I need you to answer all my questions first.

Also, have you given any thought to holding off on the burm?

I am sorry if I'm coming across as a newbie hater but I just hate to see people get in over their heads with animals like these. It's always the animals that suffer for it, and the reptile community in general. It is really easy to buy that cute little baby snake and justify it by saying, "Oh I have a long time before he gets big, I'll figure something out." Heck, I've been tempted myself when I see these cute little baby retics in stores. But I know logically that caring for a snake that could get at or over 30 feet is just not something I want to deal with. Considering you already now have one potential giant on your hands,I just can't see why you would feel the need to add another, having had no experience with them.

Just MHO.

18. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

They aren't starting anything really, there is concern for you and the snake you have just purchased. These guys know what they are talking about, they keep the "big boys" and fully understand the complexity of them. Just provide all the info and pics you can, and follow the advice you are being offered here, they can help you a lot but you have to let them. You will have a huge snake on your hands at some point, best to start off right with it.

19. Blake_Herman

I'm a little curious to see the snake... $100 is really cheap for even a WC green annie, in fact I've never even seen one below about $150 and they go up to $300 or so depending on quality... we really aren't "hating on newbies", but I think as it's already been established, we do very much care about the reptiles and their owners staying safe... (in a situation especially involving one of the giant species) There is already so much negative publicity about these giants, we just hate to see another one end up on bad terms... sorry if we're coming on a little strong... looking forward to the pics...

20. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

here ar some pics i have...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

21. Blake_Herman

thanks, he's actually looking really good... looks like a good weight, how often is he soaking in his water bowl...? is he aggressive? Sorry for the all the questions, but have you taken it to a vet yet or at least had a fecal done to check for parasites? what have you been trying to feed him so far and how? f/t, live, or prekilled? And forgive me if you've already told us some of that and I missed it... thanks...

22. conservationist

conservationist Member

yeah the snake looks good, if your feeding ft, he might not like that, maybe heshe will only eat live, im soure you have had experience with feeding probs before, considering you had the ball pythons, and im not sure for an annie but should you have some substrate down? and when the snake gets bigger your going to need to have someone to be thare with you when you handle it, even if its really tame you still want to be safe.

23. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

he/she soaks in the water bowl about every five hrs or so. it is not aggressive at all (i can pick it up when it is sleeping and it wont bite me), i took it to the vet to get it checked womrs, they wanted tooooo much to sex it so i said forget the sex. i tried live fuzzies *no go just looks at em and 2 hrs later still alive*, ive tried F/t fuzzies *no go* and ive tried freshly killed *no go* as for the beding i put down some wood chips *no ceder or pin* if you guys have any other Q please shoot

24. spix14

spix14 Member

You might try asking the pet store what they were feeding him. If at all possible I'd keep trying for f/t as it is much safer for the snake, especially one that will get up to the prey size yours will require.

How exactly are you going about feeding him? Some snakes are shy feeders, you might try covering the cage with a towel, turning off lights, ect. You can also try putting both the snake and the feeder in a paper bag with the top rolled closed, sometimes the darkness and enclosed space will get them to feed.

Also, how much are you handling him? Some snakes need time to settle in and be left alone before they will start feeding for you. After they have established a good feeding routine then you can start handling them more.

25. Ejay123

Ejay123 Embryo

i only handle it about 10 mins a day