Green Anole Breeders

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by StangWolf, Dec 11, 2007.

1. StangWolf

StangWolf Embryo

Hello all ^^

I'm new to the forum, and I have NO idea if this is the right place to ask this question. I've looked all through the Anole Forum and even the rest of the site, and I haven't had success in finding an answer so far, and I have no idea where else to place this, so here goes.

I'm interested in finding someone or someplace that actually breeds Green Anoles. For two reasons mainly, 1) being that I don't like the looks of those I see at stores like PetSmart and PetCo, and 2) I'm looking for a couple hatchlings and so far I have NEVER seen a hatchling at a pet store.

Along with those reasons, I've read all over on this forum and on others that the best thing is to go with captive bred animals (I'd MUCH prefer these anyway - just can't find anyone who captive breeds them, so far anyway), another reason pet stores are a turn off since I've heard (and I don't doubt) that their Anoles are wild caught. Plus, the nearest PetSmart and/or PetCo to where I live (in rural Texas) is at least an hour and a half away, so not an easy or convenient trip.

I've got a 20 gal tank that's ready for the little guys, but I've searched all over the net and so far I have only found three places that actually sell green anoles (and really theirs might be wild caught as well) and they haven't answered my emails, and I have no idea if they would actually sell hatchlings if they even have them.

If anyone has any information on Green Anole breeders I'd be eternally grateful if you could help me out. But if it comes down to it I'll just get a couple adults (if I find a breeder but they won't sell hatchlings), and if need be I'll go rescue a couple of the healthiest I can find from a pet store, but if I can I'd love to have a couple little ones to raise up.

Any help would be awesome, thanks ^^

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wingnut

wingnut New Member

You are going to have a hard time finding breeders, they are just to easy and cheap to catch in the wild and they are not very prolific breeders, I have a pair that produced 4 good babies last summer, compare that to a Beardie who might lay 60 eggs at a time.

If my colony continues to multiply next summer, I might try to sell to some local pet stores, but I have no experience shipping.

Your best bet is probably to try to get the best you can find at the local pet store.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StangWolf

StangWolf Embryo

that's what I'm starting to think

they're never very expensive at the pet store anyway (I think the one's at the PetSmart in Frisco, Texas are around $8 an anole) and I imagine it's not much of a profit to breed them, especially if they're not very prolific. Especially when you figure that you'll more than likely pay more for shipping than for the actual anole.

Since I've started researching them though, I've seen time and again someone on a forum being angry because someone else caught a wild anole and wants to keep them. So that and because back when I was younger we tried to keep a wild caught hatchling green anole and I felt bad for the little guy and let him go after about a week. So yeah I'm REALLY reluctant about catching one myself, not to mention we don't have many around here anymore (not many plants and such around our house for them to hide in, plus we used to have outside cats which is probably the main reason we don't have many green anoles around the house anymore).

Anyway, what you've said makes sense coupled with the fact that I just can't seem to find ANYONE that has captive bred, or even just simple green anoles at all.

I'll keep an eye on the batch that the PetSmart in Frisco has when I'm visiting my step-mom and my dad and pick out the best pair I can. I imagine they're easier to sex once they're adults too lol

Thanks for the reply ^^

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

I agree with wingnut, I also breed brown anoles but in two years I've only produced 5 babies from a 1.2 group and have no experience shipping them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tru24rm

tru24rm Embryo

Does anyone know if there are any permits or anything needed in order to sell wild-caught anoles captured on ones' own property?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Specific laws will depend on your area, but if you live in the United States, they are most likely protected as they are a native species. If you feel comfortable giving the state you would be capturing them in, I'd be happy to help look up the laws for that state.

12. MichelleS

MichelleS Embryo

Did you get one already? I just posted that we are trying to decide what to do with the male green anole my son caught, and we are like 15 min from Frisco!

13. MichelleS

MichelleS Embryo

OH, just saw that your post was from like 6 years ago, sorry!! :) It was near the top of the forum. Well, small world anyway!