Guess what I found this morning!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by LeopardLady, Jul 2, 2007.

1. LeopardLady

LeopardLady New Member

A baby Bahaman Anloe :p
    [​IMG]
    Isn't he cute?
    I have a pair of adults I knew were breeding, thats how I knew I bought a male and female, they were breeding in the store, so I took them home. I never did see were she laid any eggs, or see them mate anymore.
    I just found this little guy this morning.

Any guesses on the age, I'm not even sure how big they're eggs are. Does anyone know how big the hatchlings are, I think they're breeding is pretty much the same as the greens, I'm going to go check out they're breeding article.

Thanks for letting me share my baby with you :p
    Amanda

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bunny_Too

Bunny_Too New Member

Wow, that is too cool. I never realized they started out so small.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

He/she seems to be only a few days old. They are only about an 1.25 inches when they emerge from the egg.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LeopardLady

LeopardLady New Member

Thats what I thought, I'm in the tank misting and checking on everyone a couple times a day, and I hadn't seen him till now, I probably wouldn't have if he wasn't on the light colored rock back ground.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. plmarsg8

I am pretty sure my anoles laid a few eggs somewhere.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Wow he's a lil cutie ;) Make sure that if you aren't ready for babies, or don't want any more you seperate. Anole babies can be quite a job looking after. Have you got any pinhead / micro crix for him?

Good luck !!

12. LeopardLady

LeopardLady New Member

I went out and bought fruit flies yesterday as soon as I found him, I don't see any in there right now, so I'm pretty sure he ate the ones I gave him. I'm not sure where I can get pin heads, I buy my crix in bulk so I may just have to set aside some of the adults to lay eggs, I can get the fruit fly cultures easily.
    Is there any harm in feeding him them until he's bigger, and can I dust them like the crickets? I want to make sure he gets enough nutrients and calcium.
    Thanks Amanda

13. 00luke00

Fruit flies will be ok then, as long as you dust them properly. Good luck!

14. LeopardLady

LeopardLady New Member

Just dust them like crickets right?

15. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

Is there any difference between Bahama Anoles and brown anoles? I bought mine as a brown anole at our LFS, and he looks exactly like the hatchling picture posted here!!

{p.s. CONGRATS!! He's a cutie!!}

16. plmarsg8

They are both the same species. Brown anoles and Bahama anoles are both Anolis sagrei

17. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

18. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

hey with friut flies are they good to feed them to adult green anoles?

19. 00luke00

No, they're far too small for the adults, best to just feed them to the babys due to their size.

20. mauricepudlo

mauricepudlo Embryo

I'm going to go against the grain on this one, I feed fruit flies to my adult Anoles. The larger D. hydei are what I feed. I do not feed just fruit flies mind you, but as part of a large variety of insect prey items. I breed 8 different types of insects that at some stage are small enough for anoles to eat. I doubt there is a problem with feeding them to your anoles unless that is all you ever feed them.

21. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

i was planning on feeding crix and mealies to but just to offer variety...

22. LeopardLady

LeopardLady New Member

I just wanted to let you all know the baby didn't make it, I'm not sure why he was doing good, and seemed to be getting bigger, and then one night I looked in there and he was dead :)

23. unrealjill

unrealjill Well-Known Member

im sorry to hear it didnt make it - it was such a cute wee thing. how many more are you likely to get out a season?

24. LeopardLady

LeopardLady New Member

I'm not really sure, I found 2 more eggs the other day, I can't remember thats bad I know I have to go check lol