h8 2 complain, but . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Hummingbird, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i was just wondering if someone could allow our signatures to be longer?

i TOTALLY understand and agree with having a limit on them - i've seen some on other forums that are 3 pages long! *however* i don't even have enough space to type out all the animals i have experience with (it's only about 15 species, too - not even on seperate lines).

ALSO, when we add bold type or italics or something it includes the code for the bold type as part of our character limit! that limits us even more!

could we just up the character limit to 300? i don't mean to encourage everyone to get on and say "yeah let's up it to 500 characters" or "well i don't think we should have a limit at ALL", i just think that 255 characters is *awefully* short. besides, i'd like to learn more about the people here and i think signatures are our way of expressing ourselves and telling others about us.

just curious . . .

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

thats a good idea, but ummmm how do i get a sig? and were do i get the smiles, i get them if i start a new topic but not any other time.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'll check with Axe and see what he says.
    The smilies are located either under the the Quick Reply box (click on smiles) or next to the reply box in the regular reply window (click on Post Reply)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

okey thanks.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Sirch

Sirch Member

i have a sig it dont work can you give me the exact writing of yours so i can copy the codes and just change it to my sig?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

so . . ANYTHING? "yes"? "no"? "maybe in the future"? "no way! go burn in hades"? "well we really don't care"? *anything*???

sirch - if you have your own question, can you start another thread dealing with that topic please?

12. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I will give you a bump... maybe Axe will catch this the next time around.
    i dont know if it will work or not but have you tried the font size tag to get the text smaller so you can fit more in????

13. Hummingbird

it doesn't have anything to do with that - the sigs are limited by the number of characters (255 characters), so the fact that the font is small doesn't matter. if you have 255 characters and the font is size -500 it's still considered too long because it's 255 characters. PLUS if you add in the codes to make the font smaller/bold/italicized/larger/colored/whatever, the [ and / and ] and b and size= and everything are all included in the character count. so if i type (without the spaces) [ b ] c y n t h i a [ / b ] it's not 7 characters (for my name), it's a whopping 14 characters even though only the "cynthia" will show up! you know what i mean?

and god forbid you wanna put a wee little picture in there. for ONE pic to be put in, it would take like 35 characters - like [ i m g ] h t t p : / / w w w . w h a t e v e r . c o m / p i c t u r e . j p g [ / i m g ] codes and stuff should NOT be counted in the character amount, imho.

14. stormyva

ahhhhh.... I dont pay much attention to the sigs and havent messed with my own much..... sorry.

15. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, the problem is, the field it's actually stored in in the database is limited to 255 characters. The database can't distinguish between text, a link, or bbcode.

16. Hummingbird

so it's not up to any admin or anybody - it's up to whoever programmed/designed the forum program. well that sucks. thanks for the info, though.

17. stormyva

What about doing it in some type of image editing software and making it like an image banner. Something like Axe has in his sig... then you can use custom text, colors, and all kinds of other stuff and you wont have to do any more than set up an image tag.

18. lturbott

lturbott Member

Excellent idea!!!

19. Hummingbird

well, i *am* planning on doing that if i ever get my website up and running, HOWEVER, big pictures like that can take forever to load and can cause problems for people with slower systems. axe's seems to load pretty darn fast, but i have a quick connection. i'd just like to see my sig all typed out nice and everything at the bottom without having to go to the trouble of making a pic on my server. but it's all good.

20. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I like your sig, it's easy to read, and see what's yours and what you care for at the uni :)

21. Hummingbird

i like it, too, but the character-length-thing keeps me from listing ALL the animals i work with/have worked with. that's the only problem.

22. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've actually been thinking about maybe writing a modification for the site so that users can enter an animals bio on their profile page - this should help solve this problem a bit :)

23. Hummingbird

hmmm . . . me like . . . :)

24. stormyva

I like your new sig... cant miss that one :)

25. Hummingbird

thanks! you sure can't miss it, stormy!! i tried to make it as small as possible, though - any smaller and you can't read it!