Has a boa that is under 7ft long ever killed a person (small children not included)

Discussion in 'Boas' started by Crazy4Herps, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I'm still working on convincing my family to let me get a boa. I would get a columbian male, so I really doubt it would exceed 6ft. This time, I'm wondering if any of you have heard of a boa killing a person (small children not included. We do have little ones around sometimes to babysit, but I wouldn't let them in my bedroom, and the only snake I would take out around them would be the BP)?

Again, I mean by constriction. Nobody in my family, or me, would care about me getting bit. Even if it was fatal, I guess.

And if you read/heard about it on the news, I'd like the link.

Thanks everybody!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

I did a research project on snakes killing people and how safe a "pet" they are. My study was over the past 15 years (as of three years ago) there was in the US an average of 7 people killed per year by "pet" snakes and 45 that were treated for a bite. compare that to an averge of 33 people killed by dog per year, over 300,000 peole are treated for dog bits annualy and is the 5th most common reason for medical attention. Most of witch are children.

I never found a snake over 7 footer killing anybody. most of the human faltalitys where with snake over 12 feet and it was feeding time that gone wrong or the person was holding a small animal and then picked up the snake with out waching the odor off.
    The smallest snake I found was an 8.5 foot boa got out of its tank and found the baby room. the snake cuddled up on top of the child for warmth and suffocated it by just its weight, absoulty no biting or constriction was involved.

snakes are not too smart they rely on instinct and enviromental ques. For a snake to attack, they need a stimilus. ie you are threating it / it feels threatned and will protect its self. Or feeding, the snake may bite if it detects what it belives to be a food source. Keep you hands washed after holding any other animal.
    Are snakes a saft pet to have YES, but they are increadably strong for there size, respect at all time is required just incase the very very rare insident happens.

Ill dig through my notes and find the citations if you want

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Thank you! Only an avg of 7 people per year killed by snakes? Wow, I was expecting something worse.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I just found this link on another forum, and thought you might find it interesting. You will notice, with the exception of an incident in 1999, all recorded deaths involved snaked over 11 feet.

http://www.rexano.org/Statistics/Constrict...ke_Fatality.pdf

On this page:

http://www.rexano.org/

it shows, based on their stats, that you have a better chance of dying from a captive elephant (if you own one I guess), or lightening. I can't verify the accuracy of their info, but if anywhere close it's pretty compelling.

The forum I found it on is this:

http://www.constrictors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22555

They have good info and discussion there too. Good luck with your search and family convincing.

Jeff

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Hum interesting site.
    It looks like everyth they have is pretty similar to what I found in my study, except there data has a few lower on average killed annualy.
    The burm, retics, Aferican Rocks, are the culprits. All big snakes that are know to be a bit more agressive that others. I see those three snake kind of like a rottweiler or pit bull, some can be very sweet but they are to be 100% respected and dont think that you can handle em at all times and are not for some people.

I still stand by that snakes are safe pet to have. Just dont get one that too big to handle, do you research and pick out a snake that suites your needs and such.
    our 8 foot boa would be a hand full for one person if she decided to get serious, she is so strong, but she is so docile its great.