HELP! Black circles appeared round my green anoles eye's!?!?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by SarahandReptar, Aug 18, 2007.

1. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

Help me!! I went out at 11 this morn and reptar was ok, when i returned he had a black ring around each eye! What up? Also he's just sitting on his log with his mouth open! Is he hungry??
    PLEASE HELP!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

RE: HELP! Black circles appeared round my green anoles eye

To anyone reading this, i found reptar dead shortly after i'd posted the msg about the black rings around his eyes. I am going back to the pet shop where i got him to complain as looking at ur set ups and ur pics of anoles i have realised he was in the wrong living conditions and extreamly thin. I did post and ask for help a few times but unfortunatley nobody got back to me in time. Spare a thought fo the people posting msgs, instead of just reading them try to offer some sort of advice. You might just save their anole.

As for me, i wont be purchasing another one too soon. This experience has really put me off owning a lizard. I had reptar 2 and a half days. I think i will stick to my dog.

Thanx all.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

With regards to people not helping you, i find this an unfair statement. I offered help in your thread just two hours after you posted for help: http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-55666.html

I think you need to read back over your threads before making conclusions next time.

Also this site isn't a vet replacement. If you saw anything unusual, or was worried about your anole, you should have taken it to the vet.

I am very sorry about your loss, but it sounds like you are trying to put the blame on someone, sorry if i am sounding blunt, that's just how your post came accross.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

I know you offered me help with the regards to feeding reptar, you asked for my tank setup and i replied, but as i said he died before anyone could help me with the black circles problem, he died not long after posting the topic.
    I would never put the blame on anybody else!

I had been in all morning and he was fine, no black eyes. I went out about dinner time and returned about 4. It was then i noticed the back circles. I opened his tank and sprayed the leaves on his tree. At this point he jumped up on to his cork bark. I watched him for a while and he kept opening his mouth wide and not shutting it. This i found unusual, never seen him do that before. I watched him till he closed his eyes, which i quite often did. Then i came on the site to ask for advice. After staying on the net i went downstairs, i watched him, he wasnt moving. I sprayed the leaves again and he didnt move. Crickets were walking over him and he didnt move. I realised he had gone.

I never said this was a replacement for a vet at anytime and didnt mean to seem like i was using it as one. I was simply sad because i saw that ppl had read my post but didnt advise. I reaise nobody has to advise but i was hoping that someone was going to reply and tell me it was normal.

I hope you can understnad that i was just upset, i only had him 2 and a half days! I had to explain to y 4 year old and 2 year old that the lizard they begged so much for had gone to heaven. It was horrible to see them so upset.
    In fact they were trying to tell there friends that reptar had died, it was heatbreaking to hear two four year olds talking about it.

Today i plan on going to see the guy at the petshop and telling him about this wonderful site i had joined. I plan on telling him that the set up he sold me was totally unexceptable.
    I cant tell you how guilty i feel right now, i wake up in the night thinking that if only this and if only that. It worries me that he was in pain. I just dont know???

When i got him, i joined this site and i really dont think he was in the best on health. I saw pics of other anoles and they were plump and healthy looking. I called my fella up to see the pics and we both agreed that reptar was so thin! We hoped that he would fatten up now we had him, unfortunatley He didnt. he ate one cricket in the 2 and a half days we had him.

Do you think you might know the cause of his death? Based on what i have told you?

So, again, i hope you can understand that i wasnt blaming his death on anybody but myself and i am terribly sorry if it came accross like that.

Sarah x

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

I just looked on my thread when you asked for a run down on my set up and its not on there?! Im sorry, i must have not pressed submit. I feel even worse now because you might of been able to help me.
    I will give you a run down now just to see if it helps with my question of "do you think you could work out the cause of death from what i have told you?"

He was sold to me in a small tank, it was actually a spider starter kit. The guy removed the contents and said he would set it up for everything i'd need.....

It had a red 15 watt lightbulb, i was told to keep this on at all times,

It had a thermometer (not digital) I was told to keep an eye on the temp and make sure it stayed between the 2 green guidelines (which i did),

Bark on the bottom of tank,

It also had a blue water dish.
    THAT WAS IT!!!

When i arrived to pick him up i asked "was this all i needed?"
    He said it was. I asked if he needed somewhere to hide or any plants, he sed no but if i wanted it for decoration i could. So i got a cork log and a fake plant.

This was my set up that i now realise was totally wrong, could this have contributed to his death?

The tank he was in in the shop was half the size, no plants just a cork log.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

yes, does not sound like that was even close to what he needed, but I am hesitant to say it is the cause of his death due to the fact you only had him for 2 and a half days...mine used to get liitle dark rings around their eyes when they were stressed out, but that was it, my vet said it was normal. I commend you for joining the site and doing what you could, it was not your fault the jerk at the store knew nothing! I hope you at least get your money back for the whole setup and everything, as it probably was only good for a spider, and the reason you bought it was for mis information...I always hate to hear of these things, but they do happen. Hopefully you decide to get another lizard, so we can chat and everything. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

12. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

Thank you for your kind words, unfortunatley my children are still very upset so we are going to leave getting another one so soon. I did return to the petshop yest and he did give me a full refund. If and when we get another one i will certainly visit the site on info for a correct set up.

Thank u xxxx
    R.I.P Reptar x

13. 00luke00

Sarah, i don't believe it was through any fault of your own that you lost Reptar, and you shouldn't blame yourself. He'd have probably passed at the pet store anyway, giving the conditions he was in.

Just for the record, here's a good anole setup.

10 gallon tank (20" x 12" x 15")
    UV lighting (this could have been the reason the anole did not survive, UV is very important for their health)
    Basking spot, and cool spot.
    Lots of foilage as they like to hide, and it keeps down the stress levels.
    Correct humidity (the anole could also have been dehydrated)
    Digital thermometer and humidity guage.
    Organic potting soil is probably the best substrate.

I really hope this doesn't put you off reptile keeping as a hobby. I hope you reconsider, as i know you'd make a wonderful anole keeper, as you have the willpower and are willing to learn. That's all you need.

Good luck with everything :eek:

Luke

14. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

hoping to hear back from you soon!

15. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

Thank you! I will eventually get another anole, i just need some time. I will use this time to research the proper enclosure and enviroment for the new anole.

I will be back at a later date xxxxx

16. 00luke00

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. It will get easier.