Help me decide...

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Collard, May 1, 2007.

?

Which Snake would you get?

1. *

Durmerils Boa

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

Blood Python

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. *

Woma

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Collard

Collard Member

Hey guys! We're getting together and going to the NC Reptile Show in Raleigh this weekend and hoping to stumble across another addition to our collection. :) Soo....here's where I need help!!! I have SOOO many snakes that I want to purchase, its going to be SOOO hard to chose between them! So... if you were going to a show, what kind of reptile would you look for? My choices are running between a Durmerils Boa, a Blood Python, a Woma (if I can find one under $500), or just any kind of flashy, not growing over 6ft, python of some sort. We have 2 GTP's, a rainbow boa, and a Redtail for the sweeter side! :wink: I have looked into Retic's b/c of their color pattern, but as we all know, they're HUGE!!

SO PLEASE respond!!!! The Expo is Sat, but we're leaving on Friday

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

RE: HELP!!!

just to say with Dumeril's they get over 6ft...males range from 6.5ft to 7ft and females range from 8 to 9ft when full grown. they will weigh anywhere from 15-25lbs and be as thick as a liter of coke...so if you have the space for a 8'L x 2-3'W x 20"T cage in your house then you could get a dumeril's...there is a really good care sheet at...www.dumerils.com/dumerils_care.html

happy snake shopping!!

Dreamer

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Id go with the blood. They are amazing snakes. Not saying the others arent awsome too, but I have a special place in my heart for bloods, mainly because I have one.... So this is a completely bias (sp?) vote :) also my myspce has a few pics of my blood if you want to check it out.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Collard

Collard Member

He looks great, bodom! I've been wanting a blood since way before I purchased my first snake, but when I heard the rep of their attitudes, I changed my mind for a beginner's snake... How much do the blood's run at Wholesale? Hopefully I'll run across one and fall in love!! =) Your GTP is wonderful too!! We have the 2 snakes of our own. I love the snakes, but WOW are they snippy or what?! Seems like every chance they get they are striking at the heat spots. How is yours?
    Off subject...did you go to the Hamburg show in PA? It was close to Lewistown right? If so, how was it? We're thinking about checking out the next one up there!

Thanks again,
    :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I got mine off of kingsnake for 80 plus shipping. the hamburg show is great. its about 2 hours away. my GTP is not nippy at all. infact its awsome and doesnt have an attitude at all. My ATB on the other hand is very nippy. next one is june 9th.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Collard

Collard Member

My fiance' is wanting to get an ATB. He had a Indonesian Tree Boa before, and it was a great tree snake for him. I hope after our GTP's get settled in, and I get to start handling them that they'll calm down a little. They are beautiful snakes though! We love tree snakes, b/c they're "show" snakes... =) I don't know if I would trust purchasing offline, unless it was someone that I knew. It just seems so "chancey". Ya know? I guess I'll have to wait to see what I stumble across at the show Sat morning!

~ thanks ~

12. bodom85

bodom85 Member

That is true. Shows usually have them in the 80-90 price range. Its ok to buy offline, just check around blood python forums to to see if its a reputable breeder. Yes atbs are cool. Ours is just a garden phase, but its cool. My gtp is amazing. Its not red or yellow, but orange. Let us know what you get.

13. Collard

Collard Member

I will let everyone know what i purchased. I have 2 GTP's....a orange, and yellow. I love the red one's but they seem more rare to find! We purchased a pro camera also, so we'll have some good pictures hopefully! I'll keep you guys posted! I leave tomorrow morning,.and will return on Saturday evening! Until then~

14. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

I edited the title, "HELP!!!" should only be used for a true emergency...and then you should be going to the vet anyway probably ;)
    You forgot to list Carpet Pythons, everyone should have at least one!!

15. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Dreaming. i house (2) 10 Year old dummys in a 5' x 2' x 3' and they are content. 8' would be nice but its not Necessary for 1 dummy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. dumerillis_1986

and it is not really common for a female to each 9' thats a BIG BIG girl. My Male is little over 6' and my female is close to 7'. but i guess you never really know eh? they always range. just from my experience i have only seen 1 female up that high she was 8' 9"

17. Collard

Collard Member

thanks!! Hopefully I'll find me a nice priced one! thanks for all your help ppl!! I'll let you guys know what I purchase Saturday!! =)

18. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I agree with clementine, every one should own a carpet. I want to get one of those some time. good luck tomarrow.

19. Collard

Collard Member

Hey everyone!!!

I'm back from the show, and boy, lemme tell ya, it was REALLY NICE!!!

We purchased several new additions! I found a beautiful Woma Python, but changed my mind, and went with.....the Blood Python!! He's a really flashy Borneo Blood. I'll get some pictures posted ASAP! Also, we picked out two Amazon Tree Boa's, an Indonesian Tree Boa, and a Blood/Sunfire cross Bearded Dragon! We'll be sure to post some pictures as soon as we can!

Thanks for all the help deciding!!

~Chris & Kristy~

20. dumerillis_1986

Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures!! *slams fork and knife on the table" Pictures!!

21. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Should have gotten a Carpet :)
    Congrats, can't wait to see pics!

22. Collard

Collard Member

We actually looked at a Irian Carpet and I was very tempted, but I had to pass because of our budget. It was beautiful though I kind of regret not adding him to our family :)

23. reako45

reako45 Member

I voted for Dumeril's cuz they're cool, but actually you're better off buying American. Go w/ a good old fashioned Gopher snake :p .

reako45