Help me out here...

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by TwiceBorn, Nov 10, 2006.

1. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

hey...
    wow, looking at my last post is embarasing.....i need to read my posts through after i type them......terrible spelling
    anyway....you might like to know that his eye is getting better, could be good as new soon...
    i have my slimline like 9 inches from the floor of the tank, but byron favorite place to stay is in the tree and the lights about 3 inches above that.....
    he loves the crix; he ate 5 the first time i gave him them.....planning on getting premium gutload for them....i already have some from petco but it's WAY expensive....
    oh....how long do you think it would take a dragon to grow out of a 4 by 3 foot tank???...3 feet tall to??
    he lets me hold him now...but doesn't eat bugs from off my hand...only of the groung of his tank.....anyway's..thanks...i really think you guys helped out
    feel free to give more info......i could use it

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

You said...".i'm not planing on spending every sent i have when i can get something that will work good enough for cheap......i'm not going to spend the very minimum and make my dragon live in poor conditions.......but....i'm not going to splurdge(SP???) on him insanely......i'll give him other food every once in a while but him mane diet will be crix(onless he refuses"...I understand that you don't want to go overboard on spending, but your dragon needs a certain quality of life or it won't live and thrive.

It definitely needs food everyday for the first 4 or 5 months of its life not just once in a while and then every second or third day from then on. It needs proper lighting and proper nutrition (gutloaded insects that are supplemented/dusted properly and some greens, veggies and fruit) and an appropriate way of getting water...as well as hygenic conditions to live in. If you aren't willing to give it these necessities of life then you should not keep it as a pet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

no no....i am.......most of those things aren't to much money(feeding everyday, dusting food, cleaning the tank, getting new water, ect.) and i am planning on doing those things.....i'm just saying that i'm not gonna get a huge tank with water fall tons of lights ect. unless i have tons of money......which i doubt i ever will have.....

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Segue

Segue New Member

You can also gutload the crix with greens, veggies, fruits, oatmeal--pretty much anything healthy...clean out your fridge (obviously don't feed the crix rotten things)...it doesn't have to be "bought" gutload...god knows they'll eat anything!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

ok guys....i'm not sure if this should be in the hate petco dicution forum but when my mom was getting me crix from petco..well first of all when we order smallest size and get ones almost an inch long....but what i was saying is that the girl there told my mom that they get the water dragons really young....and that sometimes they still have the embilicle(SP???) cord attached?!?!?
    was she crazy, putting my mom on, or do baby dragons have a cord in there egg or something???

anyway....Byrons been eating well.....one question.....are crix ok to eat if they've been died for a day??? i'm guessing no?
    and how safe would it be to hold him out side of his tank???....i'm afraid he jump out of my hands and get hurt.....
    well..i guess that's all....thanks for the tips.....
    TwiceBorn

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Don't feed dead food...there's most likely a REASON it died...besides, my guys will ONLY eat live.

I take my guys out all the time, they jump & run & climb all over. I would confine them in one, "lizard-proofed" room (I use my bedroom or the bathroom). Don't expect Byron to "hang out" for a while though...those legs are NOT just for show lol. They're quick little buggers, so be prepared for a chase when it's time to go "home".

~Michelle

12. TwiceBorn

TwiceBorn New Member

ok...it looks like some of the scales rubbed off on his belly or something.....there's just these dots of light skin where scales are missing....
    he seems to be doing ok though......does anyone have any idea how much food an 8" long dragon usually eats a day.....
    oh yeah....he sleeps all night with his mouth open....is that normal???