help! My bearded isn't opening his eyes this morning

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by mklein, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mklein

mklein New Member

Just heard from my wife that my bd isn't opening his eyes this morning.

Cages for him are kept 90-100...I have several sources of UV for him...he has been eating/pooping just fine for past several weeks. We occasionally dose his food with calcium dust/etc.

This happened suddenly...pet store recommends visit to vet...but this sounds like $$$ and possibly for no good reason.

Any idea why he is acting sluggish and not opening his eyes?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

Whats his substrate?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Did you check his breathing and be sure he is still alive (silly question to ask but just to be sure)?
    If your temperatures (outside) dropped there may be a chance of brumation (can someone else add on this - I do not have experience with brumation - thanks).

If it is hot and sunny out you can try bringing him out in the natural sunlight. Are his UV bulbs new and not in need of replacement?

I personally can't think of anything else it might be... are his eyes healthy - did he hurt himself some how - etc? If you suspect anything like this (give him a thorough visual exam), and perhaps you may have to take him to a vet.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

Im thinking that its a sand substrate, and mabye some of the dust/particles have got in his eye, im not sure though... also, as you said pet store, it probably means calci sand, which could be an impaction. im no where near 100% on this, but its just my first impressions...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm not sure I understand you here. Getting your dragon to a vet and finding out what is wrong seems like a very good reason to spend the money, to me. I'd say if he isn't better by tomorrow you should get him to a vet. Even when my dragons brumate, they will still open their eyes when I check on them, they aren't in a deep sleep they are just slowed down. I can't think of anything terribly normal that would cause this overnight.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mklein

mklein New Member

I am using sand substrate...supposedly stuff made for bearded dragons. We usually handfeed him or use his bowl...so unless he's just eating sand...this s/not be an issue.

He did suffer a 2-4' drop from my shirt to the sofa/floor yesterday...but merely scrambled off and seemed ok.

Currently he is damn near limp when picked up...can see him breathing...I have to flip him on his back to get him to open his eyes.

I haven't dosed his silk worms for like 3 days...could this be it? I thought this just caused leg twitching when calcium wasn't present in food.

He is only 2-3 months old.

12. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

I know exactly what it could be. Are his eyes watery? If so I know what your problem is. Its called sandy eyes.( thats not really what its called ) Well anyways thats from the sand substrate. I would immmedialtly get rid of the sand and put down paper towel until you get reptile carpet, non adhesive shelf liner, or slate tile. Its kind of like when you get sand or shampoo in your eyes and it burns and is irratating. That sand is also a big risk of impaction.

Hope I helped! Good Luck!

13. PuFFdRaGoN

PuFFdRaGoN New Member

lol.. very scientific term brandon.. but i agree i would say that your beardie got dust/sand in his/her eye(s). well hope all works out for you!!

14. mklein

mklein New Member

He has been digging holes a bit lately...mostly in corners of cage. I don't see anything runny/watery in his eyes...he just keeps them closed.

I took him outside in sunlight...he merely opened eyes for a second...then closed them. He seems to have no "real" use of his limbs.

He is definitely "limp" when picking him up/etc. Still breathing though.

I will prob' take him to a herp vet tomorrow...not into paying $300 for an IV on a $45 lizard though...I have paid too much owning dogs over the years...I place reptiles in a different category...sorry all.

15. Lil_Jo

Lil_Jo Member

I think you should take him to the vets tomorrow.
    I think when buying any pet, you have to expect vets bills at some stages in their life, if your not willing to pay them for whatever reason, i think you should reconsider purchasing an pet in the first place, as it is not their fault they get sick, it just happens.
    But as someone said you should get rid of the sand asap, & place down shelf liner or paper towel for your little guy.

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

Agree 100%. No matter what species of animal, you took responsibility for it when you brought it home. I would spend thousands on any one of my pets from the dog down to the reptiles. They can't help themselves, they rely on us.

It's no secret that bearded dragons are not cheap pets. Goldfish are cheap pets. Bearded dragons are exotic reptiles with very specific needs and therefore the price of their upkeep should not be underestimated. From their setup to their feeding to their vet bills, they are very pricey. Even though the lizard itself was only $45 (a steal, really), you must have spent close to $300 on his tank and setup. Why not do the same for his health? If you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, stay away from exotics in the future. That's my opinion, anyways.

17. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

'glad to hear that you'll be taking him to the vet. Hopefully it's not going to cost $300! But I too believe that you should do as much as you can for the pets you take on.
    If you can take a fresh fecal sample with you, it'll help the vet diagnose/rule out parasites.
    I don't like the sound of him going limp...an irritant in the eyes would cause the eyes to close, but I don't think it would make him be so lethargic.

If he's only 3-4 months, he shld be getting calcium dusted feeders every day. There is a possibility of him intentionally eating the sand (especially if it's one of those wicked calcium based sand) if he hasn't been getting enough calcium supplements - -which may have ultimately impacted him. It sounds like the symptoms came up all of a sudden, but as he's still a baby, may be it's hit him hard...

'just wondering - how is he being hydrated?

'hope it's nothing serious and he perks up for you soon.

18. mklein

mklein New Member

We would spray him like once/day or so. Gave him baths every few days or once/week.

We are using Vita-sand...supposedly made just for bearded dragons.

I don't know where most of you are going for vet svc...but an x-ray or iv means a minimum bill of $200-300. This has been my experience with dogs for 20+ years. I've also had so many bad diagnosis' from supposed quality vets...I often get the feeling they don't have a clue...at least most don't. Now try to find a quality herp vet...sounds even tougher...and more expensive.

One of my dogs died from a neutering...and this was done by the #1 vet in San Francisco. You can figure out who this is if you live here...

Sorry all...but I get like 100x more interaction/love from a dog than my lizard...which is why the different willingness to pay big bucks for herp care. Dogs are 7x24...herps are no comparison...

So why not a dog? Because my wife had to take care of our last one every 4hrs around the clock for 9 months and it kinda killed her. There is a one year moratorium on getting a new one.

(edited for language - kephy)

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

I agree with you. I am a dog person and none of my other pets even come close to the bond I get with dogs. I am always sad when I lose a pet, but when I lose a dog it's like a part of my life is gone forever. Still, like I said earlier bearded dragons are exotic pets, and they are just expensive to take care of, period. If you don't feel they are worth spending money on, why get one at all? That's the only thing I don't understand. I don't have the same bond with my dragons as I do with my dog, but I still wouldn't deprive them of vet care when they need it no matter the price, because that's something I took on when I got them.

I understand your mistrust for vets as well, I've gotten the occasional bad advice. Just understand that for every animal they couldn't save there are so many that they do. I feel like it's just one of those things you have to put a little faith in. They say becoming a vet is ten times more difficult than becoming a surgeon. That is because they don't just have to learn human medicine, they have to learn medicine for dozens of different species. So I can understand that they are usually more a jack of all trades and masters of none. They are doctors in any case, and no matter what we think, they usually can do so much more for our pets than we could without their help at all. If anything they can give you medications you wouldn't normally be able to aquire on your own. Check out http://www.arav.org/ or http://herpvetconnection.com/ for specialized reptile vets in your area.

As for the vita-sand, it is very, very bad. It is a calcium based sand and is known to have cause hundreds of deaths in dragons and other lizards. There are no regulations on reptile products, so they can pretty much say what they want and as long as there aren't legal repercussions why should they stop? They say crushed walnut shells is made for dragons too, even put a picture of a dragon on the bag.... but before they were made for dragons they were made for birds, and when the bird community wouldn't have it they said, "hey, these are made just for reptiles!" Crushed walnut shells are in fact every bit, perhaps more dangerous than vita-sand. Bottom line is that most particle substrates on the market are *not* good for bearded dragons. That's why most experienced keepers use paper towels, reptile carpet, or shelf liner.

I hope you do decide to get him some vet care. I wish you both a lot of luck in any case.

20. mklein

mklein New Member

when to say when

He has an appt around 2pm today.

Woke up this morning and he is in same condition. Only get a real response from him when I spray him with water or give a bath...when I spray him he immediately lifts his head up and stiffens body in arch...he liked bath too...but again...eyes are 99% closed.

On other <nested> thread...when is vet care enough? I realize there is no one answer here...

Would you catScan your tarantula? I'm not joking...

Obviously care given to pet depends upon several factors...cost of pet, is pet higher/lower life form (what you might do for a dog you won't for a salamander), will kids cry incessantly, have you invested a lot of time/money in pet already, etc.

21. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean by lower/higher life form. If you get a pet, they should all be equal and deserve equal care. I WOULD catscan a tarantula, i would spend 100s in vet care for feng, although i got her for 115. no offense, but your kind of mind-set about reptiles being 'lower' life forms and their cost outweighting vet bills, that ppl like use have to fight against.
    It comes right down to whether or not you care about your animal, that will anwser the question of whether or not you would bring a 5$ iggy to a vet.

22. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, i have to ask. Why did you get a beardie? you obiviously don't care for it as a living thing, oh excuse me, a 'higher' life form. i don't care if you don't have or won't spend the money, but a vet bill is nothing compared to food and setup costs. if you are willing or able, why? i'm not trying to start something, just curious.

23. Daggerlover

I just deleted a very long typed out reply, because I feared it would be taken in the wrong way.

In short, I'm sad at the situation, and I agree with clarinet45. Wholeheartedly. I too am questioning your choice of a high-maintenance pet.

Also agree with getting rid of the sand. Vets are expensive, and a way to cut back on the need for a vet is to get rid of the sand and replace it with non-particule substrate. Tight woven carpet. Slate tiles. non-adhesive shelf liner. As explained in a previous reply, getting rid of this will help keep your beardie healthy - and less of a need to take to a vet.

Good luck with him, I hope either you decide to afford the vet or find someone to adopt your pet and help it.

24. mklein

mklein New Member

puhlease

So you'd catscan your tarantula huh? This (for many reasons) is something I won't even begin to touch...I'm glad you have this kind of money laying around...I don't.

I'd really suggest you develop some priorities though...there are too many other things in life deserving this kind of money...local orphanages, animal pounds, food banks, etc. Catscan'g a pet spider doesn't even come close to being on this list.

You don't understand lower/higher life forms? I would suggest you go back to school then...basic biology 101.

To treat spiders, mammals, etc. as all being on an equal plane is ridiculous.

And bearded dragons are NOT a high-maintenance pet. I'd put cats, dogs, and parrots as high-maintenance...snakes at bottom of scale...and various lizards somewhere in the middle (feeding/interaction/cleaning time).

Let's not misquote my posts either...I said nothing about cost of reptiles outweighing vet bills...for a $40 bd yes...possibly...for a >$1K monitor...prob' not. I didn't even say I wouldn't take him to a vet...merely said I was leary of laying out several hundred dollars with no guarantee this person even knows what they are doing.

You "don't care if I don't have...the money" for a vet bill??? Who the heck are you to say I shouldn't prioritize expenses?

25. Daggerlover

I'm not going to continue with this myself personally, I am agreeing to disagree...HOWEVER.
    I am interested in hearing what the vet had to say - you mentioned you had an appointment at 2ish or something?

This could be used as a great learning experience for all of us here - those of us who have attempted to reply to you but couldn't because we have no idea what it actually is - it'd be a great reference. Please post what the condition (or problem) it is your beardie is having, and the treatment the vet suggested. We can, in turn, if it is not something serious, help future people with this same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.