Help! My gecko wont eat

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ilovemyleos, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ilovemyleos

ilovemyleos Embryo

Hi,
    My boyfriend and I got two juvenile geckos about three weeks ago. They were doing great until I scared one of them. He was hiding under a rock that I picked up and it fell. I didn't think it fell on him, just around him. When we picked it up, he wasn't breathing and was completely unconscious. After about two hours of watching him (still not breathing)we put him in a shoe box because we thought he was gone. He was left out all night in probably 65 degrees and when we opened it up the next morning, he was breathing. We put him back in the 20 gallon tank with the other one so he could warm up. Its been a week and I don't think he's ate. When he walks he has a sort of limp and strains his neck like he's hurting. I was reading about MBD but why would that just come into play after the accident? I also read that we could try baby food and feeding him that way but he wants nothing to do with it. He hasn't drank or anything. I feel so bad and just want to help. Any suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

You should of rushed him to the vet. You did hit him with the rock if he was unconcious. The other mistake you made was to put him into a tank with another leo. They aren't meant to be in the same tank especially two males, even two females. Or hell a male and female. The weaker of the two will get bullied and sometimes killed by the other (Males will kill one another). You probably don;t have enough hides if he was able to get under a rock. Your tank is to small for 2 leo's . What you need to do is take him to a vet. Remember if you can't afford the vet don't buy a pet. You probably seriously injured him and it didn't help that you left him out in 65 degree weather cause you thought he was dead. Sorry to say this but you are very irresponsible and I hope you learned your lesson from this mistake and every mistake your now making keeping 2 in a tank. Your rocks should never be able to get beneath and any lose rock should be glued together to other rocks using a aquarium silicon glue. (you glue wait 24-48 hours and dunk it in water during that period a few times throughout the day) any rocks should be baked in the oven at 250 degree's for 2 hours so the bugs are burned to death. Take him to the vet ASAP before you do anymore damage.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Although Godzillagecko has some valid points, please don't take this as an attack on you or your care for your animals, you simply may not have known what the best care is. I would highly suggest taking your little guy to a vet as soon as possible to make sure he doesn't have internal bleeding or had broken anything when the rock fell. Accidents happen.
    I would also suggest after you get him or her back from the vet that you purchase another tank to keep the injured gecko in. At least 3 hides, a hot and a cold side, food and water dish, and possibly a small cap full of (non d3) calcium.
    Let us know how he or she does at the vet and let us know if we can help with anything else.

Geckolad likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Definitely not an attack. So please don't feel that I did. But this is a wake up call. As Stiky said (he's right) seperate tank, 3 hides etc. Hopefully the little guy will be alright.