Help! My snakes are cold!

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by ipushmycar, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ipushmycar

ipushmycar Embryo

I left for thanksgiving break for 5 days, and didn't bring my 2 kingsnakes home. I figured they'd be fine for a few days if I fed them before and filled up their water. Our rooms in the dorm are always 75-80 degrees, so the temp would be okay too.

I got back yesterday to find the room was freezing cold, 60 degrees. I really hope it wasnt this cold all 5 days, but its possible (they do have UTH, but who knows how well that really works).

When I went to checkup on my cali, I was going to pick him up, but he went into threat mode, rattled his tail and flaired up his neck (never seen any signs of aggression in him before). My mexican black king seems okay, as I just held him (a bit cold and skittish, but no aggression). My cali's eyes are a bit off, look either watery or shiny. Both shed while I was gone as well (all one big peice).

Thankfully I raised the temp in the room back up to 73ish, put there light on, and it seems there tanks are back to normal temp, but both are still cold!

Should I just let them re-adjust for a few days before handling, should I feed em, what should i do to heal them back to health again?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

You need to get a digital thermometer (walmart $10) and a thermostat too to stop this from happening. Dont guess the temps, just get the stuff you need to regulate them, and check them, and keep them constant. Hopefully they were not in the cold long enough for such a long period of time as to have suffered any lasting damage.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Breeders cool their snakes for the winter and keep them at temps in the high 50s or so and don't offer food.The fact that you fed them before you left can be a cause for concern. Their digestion could have been effected by the low temps, but you don't know the exact amount of time that they were exposed to. Have they pooped yet? Keep an eye on them. Snakes sre pretty tough, so odds sre that they will be fine.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Food in the belly could be bad if they go into brumation with it, bnut only a fwew days wont allow any bacteria to grow to harmful levels as well. Remember, bacteria does best at 80-100 degrees F, anything above or below really slows down a bacterial colonies growth rate. As long as the continue to feed and don't regurge, you should be fine. Maybe you shoulda let me watch 'em for you after all, huh Jayhawk? :( GO KU!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Is it me or does that last smiley that I used look somewhat evil?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ipushmycar

ipushmycar Embryo

I thought leaving them alone for a few days would be fine, stupid dorms and their temperature changing.

Both are fine now :( Oreo is a bit angry at me, but seeing him rattle was pretty cool. They both ate a few days later. About ready to graduate one of em to fuzzies :)

12. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Awesome, it's cool to switch 'em up to bigger prey sizes, kinda neat seein grow up and all. Also, you should put something in your signature about KU ya know.