HELP WANTED

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by JJ., Aug 11, 2012.

?

help wanted

1. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JJ.

JJ. New Member

So within the last couple of days i got two little anoles Umbra (a bahama anole) and Jasmin (a green anole) from what i can tell they are both female but i'm still a little uncertian on jasmin. anyway jasmin started shedding the first day i put her in the 20 gallon tank with umbra. as soon as we let her out she dashed for a string of leaves that were hanging off the wall and didn't come out not even to go into the heat lamp i have for them and now shes laying on a rock with her eyes closed she hasn't moved in a while is she alright? is this normal for anoles well there shedding? its my first time with lizards so i need a littlle help ): basicly i want to know if shes dead oh yah she has drank some water before she went to the rock but i haven't seen her eat but the crickets i put in there are dissappearing and i mist it twice a day every day

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JJ.

JJ. New Member

To late for anybody to help now she passed away throughout the night ): i removed her from the habit so that my other anole doesn't have her in there

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I'm sorry for your loss :( I lost one myself last year.
    I wasn't on here the past few days, so I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner. There probably wasn't much you could do anyways sadly. Was she not that healthy when you got her? She could have had trouble shedding I guess, was she small? It's not always best to mix the different kinds of anoles either, they can stress eachother out. I know they often have the green anoles with the bahaman and sometimes even with some long-tailed lizards in petstores, but it's really not that advised.

You said you mist twice a day, though you may want to do more, especially with a 20G, that's what I have and I mist whenever I have a chance. My lights can dry it out pretty quickly, so sometimes I'll turn them off for a little while after I've just misted. I also got a fogger that really helps with humidity and they love it, it makes the tank look all cool and foogy too :) They do cost sort of a lot, but it was a gift to me.

And you said you have a heat lamp-is it a basking one that gives off light? You should have one for the day and I have a normal night heat lamp at night. You also need UVB lighting for the day, it doesn't produce much heat, but they need it to help produce calcium & vitamins to grow right.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JJ.

JJ. New Member

i got the lamps from a lizard start up kit because it was my first time with anoles so the lights are what ever came in there.

Just checked, and I have one basking bulb and one UVB bulb. Do I need just a regular light too?
    Also, I am taking my green anole back tomorrow for replacement. I am thinking of getting another bahaman, and a green tree frog. Is this a bad idea?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

I have 2 green tree frogs with my green anole and I have had 2 anoles in there at once too. I will work as long as you don't overcrowd the tank too much and since you said the one you have is a boy, you will need to get a girl, since two males will fight. But, doing this-you could have a possible chance of them breeding you'll need to be aware of and ready for.

That's good you have a UVB and basking-I just have a normal heat bulb for night if it gets cold, so you don't need one, but it could be handy. I'll also add that with the frog, it will need to be misted much more, since frogs need to stay more wet, but the anoles won't mind the extra moisture. You might also want to try to get a female frog-you can tell if they are, since females generally always have a white stripe down their side and they get bigger. All my frogs are females and I say this, since the males will call(they're loud!) and it could disturb the anoles and even you I bet! lol, well keep us updated!

And you said you would take the green one back-I thought the green one died though? And you had the bahaman left?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JJ.

JJ. New Member

yes i am gonna take the green one back to the pet smart i got her at because i had a fourteen day guarantee and i only got her on the tenth of this month. Also is there any way to clearly tell if the anole is male or female? and if they do lay eggs is a incubator required or will the normal temp. hatch them i live in Canada so the temp is 25~30+ Celsius

12. lizardgurl87

Well, you said you saw one flash a dewlap, which means they are male. You can check at the base of the tail for little bumps and that means thay're male if they have them. Males are generaly larger than females too.
    And with the eggs...you could get an incubator if you want, but they can be pretty expensive. When I had the female with my male I planned on it, but she died after the mated :/ I remember you can put a little bowl full of soil for when she's pregenant and she should lay them there. There is a special kind of bedding called Hatch Rite for them, but I'm pretty sure potting soil or Eco Earth will also work fine-here's an article I found on making an incubator: http://www.ehow.com/way_5822483_homemade-anole-egg-incubator.html
    This is Hatch Rite, they have a website too: http://www.hatchrite.com/[​IMG]
    And this is Eco Earth, though you might have seen it before-it sort of looked like it could be your bedding in that pic of your tank, but I'll post a pic anyways.
    [​IMG]you can get it in a brick and soak it to expand or in a bag that's loose
    [​IMG]
    And you can just type in "breeding anoles" or "incubating anole eggs" or something on Google to find more info. :)

StikyPaws312 likes this.