Help!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Minxy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

That's awesome. To think someone has had a tort for 31 years when really most research on proper aptive care is in it's infancy is really great. The owner must really have done their homework and cared for him like he was gold. I love hearing stories like that. So many torts only live a fraction of their posible lifespan because people were/are ignorant. Glad someone has been doing it right!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Minxy

Minxy New Member

That's why I'm glad for sites like this, so we can get the proper information and give them the best care possible. I adore my little friends, I could sit and watch them for hours. They are pampered beyond belief! They never go short of anything.

So, you don't measure the Plastron then? it's the top?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Carapace is the back (top) and the plastron is the stomach (bottom). Measure the top part from head to tail.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Minxy

Minxy New Member

Done, it's five inches. That seems awfully big for a male who is only six. What do you think?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

The guy that has the 31 year old tort is a zoo biologist who has studied turts and torts for most of his life. The tort was born at a zoo he was working at and eventually they didnt have room for him any more so he went to live with my friend. Since then he has gotten 2 other unwanted torts. Websites like these are great because it gives those of us who are not zoo biologists a place to come and talk and share information! I really appreciate this site!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Minxy

Minxy New Member

Really? is there any chance he could come on here or I could email him some questions?

12. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Let me ask him. He is now working in China, so I dont know what his schedule is like. But I am sure if he has the time, he would love to talk to you.

13. Minxy

Minxy New Member

That would be fantastic! Oh you're a star you are! I know no-one at all with a Tortoise, let alone a Horsefield.

14. Orchid021

Orchid021 New Member

Minxy, I have that guys email address. If you want, email me and I will get it to you.

15. Minxy

Minxy New Member