Herp Room Pics

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by shrap, Aug 30, 2005.

1. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Some people have been asking so here you go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

Nice pics. Awesome room! I wish I could have a room in my house for reptiles only. My room is half filled with reptile stuff.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Yeah, I'm jealous. Wish I could afford a herp room. My friends and family think I am crazy for having "so many" herps (1 gecko, 1 snake, and soon 1 beardie). If they only knew what kind of people there are on sites like this. LOL :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Where did the pictures go???? I wanna see too!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

Okay, now I see them....What are the black things you are using for hides? They're cool. Are all your herps in this room?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

Hey Janice, those hides are great...... and inexpensive!!
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/R1...s/Shopay00.aspx

Although, I have been looking for hides with access holes on the top instead of the side, but have had no luck..... not at a reasonable price anyway. The only place I found any like that they wanted $20 each for a $1 piece of plastic. Could not help laughing at them.

No, I got another rack in my bedroom with Balls in it.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Ahhh, got the boaphiles huh? Nice cages. Personally, I'm using Neodeshas, but I'm thinking of boaphiles when my BCIs start to grow some.

I do notice a distinct lack of snakes in those cages though :)

Btw, for hides with access holes on the top, what I do is just hit Walmart, buy a washing up bowl - the regular kind you put in the sink to wash the dishes. Get a hole saw kit for your drill, and just drill a hole in the bottom. Then just place the tub upside down on the substrate. Works a charm.

I picked that trick up from a buddy of mine who creates hide boxes for his king cobras the same way.

For smaller snakes, I just get small small tubs with lids (like the lil 4 cup ziplocs n' stuff), drill a 1" or 2" diameter hole in the lid, off near the side of the lid, put some aspen shavings inside the bottom of the tub, put the lid on, and they love it. I've used those with up-to-yearling size corn snakes, and with young BCI.

13. shrap

I love the boaphiles. They make maintaining proper heat gradients and humidty a breeze.

Yeah, my snakes are weird, they stay in their hides most of the time. :)

Yeah I thought about doing that with the wash tubs, just wanted something a little nicer looking. I imagine the snakes would not care what they look like though.

14. Rocky

Rocky Member

Shrap, where did you get those cages or racks from? And how much?

15. Janice

You mean plastic wash bowls? I have been using the clay flower pots, making the hole bigger and sanding it. They come in a variety of sizes and heights.

16. shrap

17. General48

General48 Member

FINALLY!!! the pics we have been awaiting!!! lol nice room by the way, are all those boaphiles just balls? nice little setup for them if you ask me, those are some nice cages! i recently picked up a extra 50 and 55 gallon so im siked about that lol but yours are better!! and in the first pic what do you have living in that enclosure on top of the rack? sorry so many questions lol

18. deborahbroadus

deborahbroadus New Member

I have a question too! :) What is kind of substrate is that? Do you use it for your balls too? It seems to be easier to handle than cypress mulch. :D

19. PythonStriker67

PythonStriker67 New Member

id never use cypress mulch to many bugs & even if you rid it of bugs it provides to much moisture for snakes reptiles..i use news paper can get it free from friends/family and easy to clean up & gives the reptiles something to read when they are bored...lol good luck striker

20. shrap

General48,

Yep just balls. On top of the rack and on top of the stack of boaphiles next to the rack are 20 gallon long aquariums with my two favorite Leos in them.

Deborah,

That is Sani-Chips and yes I use it for my Balls as well as my rats. It is an Aspen substrate that is very finely cut. About the size of kitty litter. I love the stuff and will never use anything else.

21. Rocky

Rocky Member

Thanks for the links Shrap! Awesome room!

22. HelicopterPilot

HelicopterPilot New Member

Since you use both which is better asthectically and functionally. Racks or Cage. This is considering the fact I might ,just might expand my collection and breed. I really like looks and ease of use as well

23. shrap

For adult Balls I like cages. For hatchling/juvies I like racks. Racks are a little easier to clean, but I would not want my adults to be that cramped. I am a breeder, but they are pets first.

24. HelicopterPilot

HelicopterPilot New Member

So if I want to breed I should get some racks for the babies and As they grow up move them into cages. I going with boaphile!

25. shrap

There are many ways to do it.... this is just the method that I have chosen for myself. Most breeders keep their entire collection in racks. I just prefer not too. Than again I only have 13 snakes..... not dozens or 100's.