Hi,Id Like To Have A Good Talk About Uromastyx!

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Raziel, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

Well my eleven year old cousin just got one its a baby and it living in a large 27 gallon tank...we know temps at day most be 120f and at night 70-75f and has a rock hide(exo terra medium) he knows it needs basking,its day active and etc. Hed like to know the life span,How they are towards humans, how long they get and how much do they wiegh,hes also really excited and would like to hear how others deal with there Uromastyx's and what the recommended tank set up(so far he has wood chips and some fake plants) oh 2 more things, does it need a humid hide? And if any of the iformation i got is incorrect or you think differently plz tell me thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DCbeard

DCbeard Embryo

1st off, do not have anything in there add to humidity, and if you have a water dish or bathing area get it out. The plants can go too.....being it will likely mistaken it for food and eat it. Get a few clean rocks and branches to hang out on.......they come from the desert not the jungle where it rains maybe a inch a year (Sudan, Arabia, Egypt, Yemen) The temps dont need to be that high either, 100- 110 is fine. Humidity should be under 40%
    Check the basking surface hes on also, im sure its much warmer.
    And if its a 27 gal. make sure its cool enough in the other side of the tank and not 100. The temps on the other side should be so he can cool off if need be, 80-95 area is nice. 70s at night is fine, ive heard even mid 60s are ok for periods.
    This also all depends on the Uromastyx you have. All grow to different sizes and come from different regions but the above is a good guide i have found. As for people mine eats mostly from my hands, and loves to be held........the do love to run when young and are quick so watch.
    What else, oh get rid of those wood chips, that is better suited for jungle reptiles and such like geckos and frogs, they also retain water and humidity.
    You can try a sand or something more desert like. I personally find millet or finch seed sifted and free of anything sharp with just the soft seeds is great. They can eat it and its fine, it actually has vitamins A and D3 and they like them so.......but thats just me. Mine was always eating his substrate so i got worried and changed, plus my exotic vet always gets on me about it.
    Anything else i will try to help you with, there are a bunch of good websites with info , simply type in Uromatsyx or the specific type of.
    Best of luck,,,,,,,,,those are a few things that should help you along your way......or make him a tad happier so i have found in my guy. take care, David

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Raziel

Raziel Member

Thanks it was changed to sand an no water and its a mali

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. P8ntballpete

P8ntballpete New Member

If you've got any questions at any time about care of uros feel free to email me at P8ntballpete@yahoo.com. I have had some experience in taking care of uros.