Hi

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Woodie, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Woodie

Woodie New Member

Hi 8)

I have been viewing this site for a few weeks and have found it very interesting, i have now finally come round to singing up. I currently have two female leopard geckos in a 30x12x15 tank with two levels, and i have started building a 30x16x16 vivarium and wondered what type of reptile preferably a lizard, i could put in here. I would want somthing a little larger than a leopard gecko. Any help would be much appreciated.

Woodie

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

get an emerald swift I heard they are a delight to have and they are a bit bigger than a leopard gecko but not a lot although they do require quite a bit more of a tropical feeling

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums! :D
    You could put a tokay gecko or a fat tailed gecko in their. If you wouldn't mind something a little smaller you could put some viper geckos in there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Woodie

Woodie New Member

Well i had never heard of one before but i jus looked it up and looks a real nice lizard. Can they be handled? are they expensive? and the tropical feeding could you explain please.

Also other reccomendations would be appreciated.

Woodie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Woodie

Woodie New Member

I heard Tokay geckos are for viewing purposes only and hate being handled is this true ? are the fat tailed geckos larger than leopard geckos?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

tokays are definitely for viewing only. They have a well deserved reputation of being ornery. Fat-tails are very similar to leos in husbandry and size.

12. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

emerald swifts are cool!! ;-)

13. Woodie

Woodie New Member

So are Tokays high maintenance? the fat tails are there diets the same as a leopard gecko? Thanks

Woodie

14. Spot

I am not an expert fat tail person but my understanding is that their diet is the same as leos as their tank requirements. The only major difference is that they like the basking temps to be a bit lower and require a bit more humidity. As for tokays, I'm not a pro on them either, but the key with them is to keep high humidity (they're tropical critters). fyi, tokays vocalize and it can be pretty loud.

15. Woodie

Woodie New Member

Right would be the enclosure i am making be too small for a Beardie? i dont think i will be able to cater for a Tokay as they look high maintenance and i dont have all that time and facilities for one. i would be interested in the emerald swift but have no idea of its background. I no there are some giant leopard geckos out there but do you always have to pay high prices for a big male? becuase of the size of the enclosure i will build which will have 2 levels i want a large male.

16. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

U should get an emerald swift

17. Spot

Sorry to say, that enclosure you've got is nowhere near big enough for an adult beardie. They need MINIMUM 6 squ foot floor space. fyi, their set ups costs are pricy too because you need special UVB lights, high basking temps etc. BUT they are great lizards to keep. As for the giant leos, yeah, they're all going to be pricy if you get the genetically large ones. They are fairly new to the market too.
    Another one you may want to look into is a crested gecko - they're arborial so if you can stand the cage so it's 30 inches high it wld work well.

18. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Embryo

Emerald Swifts are a good one they are a bit bigger than a leopard gecko, take about a 20 gallon tank, u can hold them but it takes a while for them to get used to you, they need more humidity than a leopard gecko and possibly a bit lower heat. But they are coll so ya

19. Woodie

Woodie New Member

i would really like a lizard that i would be able to handle, one that likes the attention. What is the reason these large lizards are so highly priced surely they cant cost that much to breed? what is it you are paying for. I really like the look of the Blizzard Geckos how much would they cost in pounds do you know an average price?

20. Rachael

Rachael New Member

eh get a snake *wink wink*

21. Woodie

Woodie New Member

I could but to be quite honest i dont find them that interesting, i am still new to reptiles despite having geckos for two years and i fancy a new male in the viv that i made. Is there any way of making a Gecko grow faster and making it bigger than usual without splashing out big bucks on a monster?

22. Rachael

Rachael New Member

dont day geckos get pretty hefty?

they are so CUTE! and they stick to things :)

23. Woodie

Woodie New Member

Yeah but do they like being handled ?

24. bratspets

bratspets Member

" I would be interested in the emerald swift but have no idea of its background..."

Hmmm...I don't know if the emerald swift would be suitable. Read this caresheet, and here are a couple photo links as well. They are very pretty though, and if you could get one that is captive bred, it could work well.

http://www.herphavenreptilerescue.org/EmeraldSwift.html
    http://pictures.ask.com/pictures?qsrc=1&am...rald%20Swift%20
    http://www.visualsunlimited.com/browse/vu303/vu303603.html

and a personal comment or two from a keeper:
    http://forum.kingsnake.com/whatl/messages/2638.html

25. Spot

Re: RE: Hi

Can you make a human being grow 8 feet tall?
    The reason that the giants and unusual color morphs are very expensive is that it takes years of tremendous effort and manipulation of selective breeding and even then, if the genes are elusive, they don't show up consistently. You're paying for someone else's efforts at creating these unusual morphs. Sorry to say, you can't take short cuts. You get what you pay for.