Hibernation

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by 1boy1girl, Aug 30, 2007.

1. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

We have been told that if our turtle is healthy we need to let him hibernate for the winter. We have him in an outdoor inclosure unless severe weather is forcasted and then we bring him inside to an indoor inclosure. Should I do the rubbermade hibernation with him or should I just bring him into the indoor inclosure during the winter months?

Thanks for your help.
    Tammy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

What sub species do you have and where are you at?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

He is a box turtle and we are in WV. Thanks.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Serpents_IE

Serpents_IE Embryo

I would not bother unless you are comfortable do so, I would only hibernate if you are trying to breed. Animals do die during hibernation. Although in captivity if they show any problems you can just bring them out.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

If your box turtle is a mature adult, it is recommended that you hibernate it. It has nothing to do with whether you decided to breed or not. Turtles follow their own cycle and skipping hibernation without a good reason can make your turtle ill.

Before you allow it to hibernate, your turtle must be healthy and have decent weight. A sick turtle is less likely to make it through. If you think you should take your turtle to the vet, then do so.

Withhold food for 10-14 days prior to letting the turtle go into hibernation. If it buries down with food still in it's digestive tract, the food can rot. Soak your turtle daily-every other day a few days prior to hibernation, this is to make sure it is decently hydrated.

You will need to provide a spot for it to safely bury itself outside. This means that you'll need to make a pile of dry leaves, grass clippings, or even straw for your turtle to bury itself under. Once it's down you can add more on top to make sure it's nicely insulated.
    Choose a place in the pen that doesn't stay too wet, no low spots.

You can also hibernate it inside if you have an old fridge or unheated basement. I've only hibernated mine outside, so you'll have to do your own research on that.

Decent site that has good information - http://www.boxturtlesite.info

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. 1boy1girl

1boy1girl Embryo

Great website. Thanks. I will schedule a pre-hibernation exam with our local reptile vet and go from there.

Thanks again.

Tammy