hognose snake?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Shanna66, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

they look interesting. are they easy to keep? can they be handled?
    and ive read you have to scent their food, is that true? are they a chill on your lap or a wander around sort of personality?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Shanna,
    I have a western hognose, she's a bit "feisty", they dont like being handled that much but if left to come out on her own she's ok. I would never let them free roam.
    You do realize they are mildly venomous.
    If you allergic to wasp or bee stings then care should be taken as that's about strength of venom. Having said that mine has never attempted to bite, she does strike and "head butt" you and it does make you jump. :)
    Their fangs are at the rear of mouth so she would really have to half swallow your finger before fangs got you.
    If you get a Captive Bred one there should be no need to scent, mine takes small f/t mice no problem.

Here's a pic of my lil cutie.
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Shanna66

yeah, i heard they were a bit venomous, thats what made me want to look into them lol. ive seen them for sale at reptile shows so im assuming they are ok in my state. im not allergic to wasp stings, but im not sure about bees.
    are there just eastern and western ones? whats the main differentces in them? is there a size difference?
    your snake is adorable

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Shanna,
    I'm going to be lazy here :)

Taken from Wikipedia
    They range from 2ft to 4ft, Leioheterodon being the larger ones.
    It is believed that any reaction you get is TO the venom not FROM the venom itself.
    Should any swelling take place then medical assistance should be sort.
    The Tri-colours are spectacular to look at.
    Have a look HERE at Barry's site, I've known Barry for several years and he's highly regarded here in the UK.
    Nice caresheet and some great pics in the photo gallery.

Should you decide to get one make sure you SEE it feed and WHAT it's fed on. Make sure it's eating defrost mice and not on frogs, would be very hard to change them over to mice.
    Baby hogs will eat every 3-4 days, adults once a week

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

im always careful to know what a snake has been eating. i dont believe in live feeding and i dont want to take the chance of getting something that only takes live food so no worries on that part

and thanks for the link