Holaspis Guentheri

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by joshmitz, Apr 3, 2007.

1. joshmitz

joshmitz New Member

Hey everyone, i saw a few of these little guys at a petstore and i think they are awesome. i resisted the urge to buy a couple right then and there and came home to do some research first. Well the petstore had them labelled as blue tailed rock lizards, but when i searched that name i got nothing but skinks. after MUCH searching with different combinations of that name i found a picture of one and the site had the scientific name listed. I found at least 5 different common names for these guys so i will just stick with the scientific.

Anyway, does anyone have info on these guys? what little info i can find on the net seems to be conflicting.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

I did a quick google search on these guys. I believe that they need at least a 20 gallon enclosure. They are an arboreal lizard so they need more height to their terrarium with leaf cover to hide and feel secure. Their humidity should be around 60 or 70% and should have multiple temperature ranges within their enclosure. They should have a cool side of around 75 degrees, a warm side of 80-85 degrees and a basking spot of 90-95 degrees. Im sure that you should use some sort of coconut fiber substrate or organic compost substrate. They are mostly digestible and can easily pass a digestive tract. Im sorry I couldn't have been more of a help. There seems to not be much information about these guys. :p

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joshmitz

joshmitz New Member

yeah thats about what i came up with, except for one site that said the temps should never go above 90, and that the humidity has to be pretty low. however that site also says the substrate should be a layer of pebbles with sand on top, which doesn't make any sense considering they come from forests in africa. You are right about there not being much info on them, but i think you've got the basic care right. I've got a 20 gallon tall that i could use and i will probably start out with just paper towel as a substrate. Now i just need to know if they need UV...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Ahh, the holaspis! I was doing some mega research on these guys a while back, but to no avail really. There's hardly any information, but they're cool lizards, nonetheless.

I'm sure i remember reading that they're diurnal, so a low-medium output of UV would be required. They're pretty small, so i think a 20GAL tall would be great! I'm not too sure on the humidity, though, i tell 'ya what, let me get back to you, i'm sure i've got a few books around with that species in it.