Housing Uros together

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Hannibal, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Embryo

Hi there, I was looking for some guidance about housing Uros together. I have one that is super friendly-about 6 inches in length. I have adopted 2 more-that are housed together-both 6 inches. They needed a better owner! Could I put them together since they are all the same size?? Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckoguy52

Geckoguy52 New Member

is it 6" SVL or with tail? what sex are the uros? you could keep them all together, but you would need a big tank. about a 50-75 gallon would be best.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Embryo

They are 6 inches-with tail. I know for sure one is a male and one is a female-and one I am unsure of. Any chance of them fighting or hurting each other?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    First thing dont put them together not yet anyway. They should be kept in quarantine for at least 90 days and have fecal tests done, check for nasties and parasites etc, would be a good idea to have your's done as well, that way eliminates any cross infection etc.
    A 75 G tank is way too small for 3 uro's, that size should really be only used to house one
    To try and provide 3 basking spots at 130-140F, one for each is impossible in a 75g.
    For 3 uro's you would need a tank with a floor area of 6ft x 3ft minimum.
    Are you absolutely sure they are male and female? They sound young at 6" at it's extremely difficult to sex them correctly. The trouble that could arise is, females become sexually mature way before they are physically mature and if bred young the female could have serious problems.
    Two males in one tank, regardless of size, will result in fighting and possible serious injury, even death.
    The 2 you have just got will be ok together for now as they probably have been brought up that way but as they grow and mature you need to be prepared to seperate, if needed.
    Have you room form 3x 75g tanks?
    Something else I noticed in your post, you dont say what species they are, some may live together better than others, if they are Egyptians then you will have an even bigger problems. They would definitely need seperate enclosures as they can grow to 2.5 to 3ft in length.
    I have an Egyptian and he's just over a foot long and is in a large enclosure, floor space of 6ft x 2ft and 3ft high, he uses every inch of it.
    I'm not trying to put you off here, just trying to make you aware of some of the problems you may face.
    Here's my uro setup to give you some idea. It has an MVB + a 75w halogen to create the required basking spot of 140F, the other 2 lamps give me the correct heat gradient.
    [​IMG]

Hope all this helps but please ask more questions if you need further info.