How big of a cage do they need??

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by corey, Aug 8, 2006.

1. corey

corey Well-Known Member

and are they handlable?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dakman

dakman New Member

Tokays require a large tall setup for best results. A minimum of 3 ft tall and 4 ft is better.. I would suggest a 70 gal tall or bigger for a single Tokay for it to really thrive. A lot of people keeep them in smaller tanks but that creates a lot of stress on the Tokay. Think about your Tokay full grown at 12-14" long, very fast and active and can jump 2-3ft. It's not normal for a Tokay to hide all the time and be close to the ground.
    As a rule most Tokays if not all don't like being handled, some will tolerate it to more degrees than others. CB's are normally much tamer and easier to work with than WC.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

WEAR GLOVES!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. corey

corey Well-Known Member

hmmmm...... that's what i was thinking, but i didn't know they needed that big of cage. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brendywendy

50 g minimum i heard but youll have to check out some care sheets and get a consensus

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lambrettaguy80

lambrettaguy80 New Member

20gal tall is the minimum required by vets and what care sheets state. Wear gloves when you handle them some have been known to be docile but the majority arnt :wink: Read up on them look up every care sheet and make sure you live by a vet that can treat them. If i could get pearl a 50 gal hell i would but she has been extremely fine in a 20gal tall and runs around lightning fast for over a year :wink:

12. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

20 gal tall would be a terrible enclosure for an adult tokay. Just not big enough. Like Dakman said, they can jump like 2-3 feet. Well they cant do that in a tiny little 20gal tank. I would minimum of 40 gallons for 1 tokay. I keep 2 in a 55 gallon. They are active and can jump across the tank which is like 3.5 ft. I will be building them a custom made 100 gallon tank in the near future.

13. herpman

herpman New Member

what about 3 10gal stacked on top of each other?
    Im guessing this is still to small but i've never had but am hoping to someday have a tokay.

14. masterofrockandroll

masterofrockandroll Embryo

iv had mine in a 10g tank for a while and hes as healthy as he can be im thinking about getting a cage topper when i get paid but mines very active and has plenty of places to live. So i guess it depend on the person and the tokay. Cause mine doesnt seemed to be stress but he is always pissed but thats why i love him. ;)

15. NoisyJoisy

NoisyJoisy New Member

i have a young tokay in a 90g tall, 3ft tall, 2ft by 2ft, he covers every inch adverturing around

16. brendywendy

how are you assessing his stress levels, just by looking at him?

i think 10-20 is bordering on cruel for a large gecko like a tokay, i had mine in a 30 g, and that seemed too small, hes now in a 5 ft tall one and he loves it, much more active, eating more, more exercise etc

17. masterofrockandroll

masterofrockandroll Embryo

The same way you assume you know what your talking about.

18. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Bad form. There is absolutely no need for that and such remarks will not be tolerated. Keep the thread friendly and share ideas and experiences, not rude comments.

19. brendywendy

i was just trying to point out that what may look unstressed to you may not be so, and vice versa
    he may display it by hiding all day,then how would you tell

and i said "i think" as in its just MHO
    i said 10-20 is too small, and it is
    and that i had mine in a 30 which is the min, but it seemed too small to me

just trying to help

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I understand that experience can sometimes be the best judge, but I'd like to add my opinion anyways.

Considering the fact that Tokays are an arboreal species and that they can reach lengths of 12-16 inches makes me feel that a 10 gallon tank would not be anywhere near enough. I know that crested geckos are also arboreal geckos and reach a max length of only ~10 inches, yet their recommended minimum is a 20-25 gallon tank that will allow for more vertical space. For those reasons I would agree that a 30 gallon tank would be a healthy minimum for a Tokay.

Again, I have no Tokay of my own, but considering their documented activity level and size, the facts present an obvious conclusion of needing a home much larger than 10 gallons.

21. NoisyJoisy

NoisyJoisy New Member

it would be like getting a dog and never taking it for a walk, if you really want to enjoy your animal and watch it be happy and healthy why settle for the bare {hardly} minimum. A tokay in a 10g wouldnt even be a tokay, it would be this thing that sits in the corner of the tank that eats crickets and poops.

22. Tokaylove

Tokaylove Member

I keep mine in a 37g and she seems wonderful, please get the largest tank you can afford going no smaller than a 20g tall.

23. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

Do you think a 75 gal breeder sitting on its end be a good cage for a group of three juvies?
    I am hoping to get this tank from a guy selling.I can put an acrylic door on it and sit it upright so its really tall.

24. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I'm no expert but I thought people were urged NOT to house multiple tokays together.

25. brendywendy

i would guess its best not to:
    no to male/male-fight
    no to male/female-sexual pestering=stress
    maybe but probably no to female/female-competition/bullying

also due to health issues, cant monitor poo, cant see who is eating what, easy for parasites and infections to spread between them