How can i get my panther to eat other insects then crickets?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by braivery, Oct 4, 2007.

1. braivery

braivery Embryo

Hi i have a panther who is a hearty cricket eater, he is 4 to 5 months old and i have tried to feed him butter worms and meal worms and have had no success.
    How should i offer the cham these worms, lets them roam or put into a container secured to the mesh? I havent had anything that has been able to climb the mesh on the cage so they just sit at the bottom where Psy rarely travels any suggestions!? thanks alot

jeremy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

RE: How can i get my panther to eat other insects then crick

I don't like the idea of creepy worms like superworms or mealworms loose in falcor's tank so I put them in a tupperware dish with relatively high sides and stick the whole dish inside one of his hanging plants in the middle of his viv, that way he doesn't need to go to the floor of his tank to find food. I haven't found they crawl out or anything. Just make sure there's enough height in the sides of the container that they can't climb over.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Golgo13

Golgo13 New Member

Try feeding him Hornworms braivery. Even the fussiest eaters respond to 'green' colored food items like Hornworms, and Katydids.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Vanillanesquik

Vanillanesquik New Member

Try feeding dish for now, another 2-3 more months and he will be climbing around the cage like a maniac.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Heika

Heika Moderator

Only a portion of my chameleons will eat hornworms... quite a few take one look and head the other direction.

Silkworms are a good bug that most chams won't refuse. You could give those a try. At four or five months, your little cham may not be ready to experiment yet. I don't like butterworms at all.. they stink, and they make me nervous. I had some burrow into the wood on a cage once.. I sprayed them with hot, hot water to try and get them to back out, and they wouldn't. I finally got them out, but it took actually poking them and killing them. Nasty worms, they make me shudder. BTW.. that is simply personal opinion. The nutritional content on them is great, I just really dislike them.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Heika

Heika Moderator

As a staple, mealworms and superworms are not a good idea. They are pretty high in fat and chiton, although supers are better than mealworms. Superworms are easy to gutload.. they will eat anything.

A balanced diet of a mixture of insects will serve your chameleon best. Crickets don't stink if you keep the cage clean and dry.

12. Summoner12

Summoner12 New Member

You guys might find this interesting: http://www.chameleonnews.com/new/?page=article&id=92

Silk worms are a good worm to feed as you can see from the article. Waxworms are not so good.

Braivery, what kind of supplements are you using on the crickets you feed you panther?