How can we get his confidence back?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by revgav, Jan 26, 2007.

1. revgav

revgav New Member

I know I'll sounds stupid saying it but let's face it, what's new? How can i feed Manny outside the viv when a) he'll get cold and :) if he doesn't eat the crickets then i have them jumping all over my living room?? added to that, if he hates me picking him up then surely this is going to be a daily hell for him. He generally either eats crickets out of the box or on the stone. he's a pretty good shot when chasing them and doesn't seem to ingest any sand at all.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale Member

RE: Hello

Does he still sleep on his branch? My baby beardies sleep in the strangest positions, they are so funny!
    Glad he's doing better! get some pics up so we can have a look at him :)
    I know a lot of people object, but my mum keeps her beardie on play sand, and its had no problems. Altho when I first got my giant beardie, I tried him on calci sand (I was told this was good for them :x ) and he started eating it, He wouldnt stop, so I had to change it as he got impacted :oops:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. trapieter

trapieter Member

RE: Hello

yeah, makes you wonder how they can still sell that stuff considering the reputation it now has and the stories that go with with it. i know of people that keep beardies on sand with no probs and woodchip too but they could just be lucky... i tend to have bad luck lol so i always air on the side of caution.

how does your viv open.. top or side? mine opens side so I put a sandwich box (large with low sides) next to the door and start tipping the crix in.. they soon cimb in lol or don't mind the bulk up to get them in coz all thay are thinking is CRIX NOW!! good thing about feeding in a container is you know how many you have fed and no cleaning up after, you just tip the left ones back in the keeper. lmao at feeding him on carpet/living room floor thats not what we mean, in a container not made of glass becasue that will be cold, if you have a heater near thats always good. but it's not for long.

jojo xx

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. revgav

revgav New Member

Maybe I'm just not wording it right. he shys away from being picked up altogether. I can't very well put him in anything to feed. He literally **** himself when i put him in a 4 foot wide cardboard box while I cleaned his viv and got rid of the calci sand. I'm not going to take him out of his enclosure very day to feed. it's a front opener so if I let crickets out and I'm not careful they jump to the lounge.
    He seems hapy with me picking out the crickets he doesn't eat with some bbq tongs and a long pink straw (dont ask). I feel like a comedy act in here

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. trapieter

trapieter Member

lmao! I have to ask now... do you suck on that straw??? I have a great image in my head lol. nonoonononono. so you arn't putting your hands in the tank?? your putting instruments in the tank???
    sorry you must be quite masterfull to pick up crix with bbq tongs lol
    get your hands in there boy!! he has to get used to you and your taste.. not blood though lmao

explain better what you are doing with your baby... and your pink straw

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. revgav

revgav New Member

Ok. Crickets gets out of Manny's view but he hasn't noticed. The pink straw can flick the cricket into moving so he can pounce on it. The tongs are fr the ones he simply doesnt want to eat which i can remove without killing resulting in them being tomorrow's dinner.
    I really hope those images you have aren't of a homosexual nature. Pink straws were from a cocktail party but they're really long and worked a treat.

12. trapieter

trapieter Member

:p homosexual nature?? lmao not at all... I just saw ya in a white piny with tongs in the tank, your shoulders twisted and your head stuck in their trying to suck or blow crix around the tank with a curly pink straw lol.. nothing homosexual about that :lol:

well if it works for you... but it does indicate that your bds hunting crix down on the sand as well as the rock...
    shoot me I said the s word lol .. I just scratch the side and they come running, they know mummy has found some hiding. hehe you could put them in the fridge to slow them down a little 10-15 mins max (the crix that is) they wont jump so much then, but depends if he takes to a cool snack, mine didn't but I know others do this. it's a shame coz it really works a treat.

think we need to work on the handling though.. what you doing to get his confidence back? that was the aim wsn't it?

speak soon.. and I'll have a clean straw in my cocktail please!!
    jojo xx

13. revgav

revgav New Member

lmao, Gavin in a white pinny sucking on a pink curly straw!! Now there's an image I'd like to see!!

I think we're finally making progress with the handling. I just fed him a few crix and some spring greens on my hand (he normally runs straight away from me as he's not as used to me having a presence in his viv as he is Gavin)

I thought I'd try my luck at picking him up so I scooped him up from underneath and he stayed there! Yay! I put him down soon after though as I had visions of him running up my arm and making a bid for freedom lol

14. trapieter

trapieter Member

lmao... sorry couldn't resist!
    well that sounds good that he let you feed him and pick him up. I find they like to rest on your forearm, gives them more room for their tail. you can just build it up over time, that way he knows you will always put him back safely.

good luck

jojo xxxx

15. revgav

revgav New Member

I'm just a little anooyed that my role as keeper and my posts on here are being taken over . It's not good and has to be confusing for the poor guy for someone else to try to handle him when we're building things. Gavin. The real one. Not the pink straw wearing ..................

16. trapieter

trapieter Member

you mean your partner? or you mean you will have to keep the pinny on or he will get confused :) lmao
    I think it's good for him to be handled either way. I don't know where I got the impression from but do you work nights?? so when do you handle him most?? awww your partner is mummy too she probably just felt proud of handling the little one. you should do it together. as it seems she has some input too (you will have to give me a name as she is the cats mother and I feel bad) are you handling him at all?
    Give me some detail about your daily routine with him and your partners imput... see what we can work out. And a name so I don't seem so rude lol

17. revgav

revgav New Member

ok. "she"be rachel or cats mother if you will. She gave manny to me as a gift but i dont want him favouring her if you get me? don't wanna play second fiddle to my own BD. He seems a lot better recently despite everything. he's just a hungry little bugger. Hopefully he'll be a big bugger like me!!!!

18. trapieter

trapieter Member

hungrys good! I doubt he will favour rachel over you, it's probably a mood thing rather than favouring one over the other. you just gotta keep ploughing ahead .. but don't push rachel away coz of it, shes probably just tryig to help too. He's your baby and he knows it :)

jojo xx

19. revgav

revgav New Member

She knows I'm not going to take it out on her. I'm just very protective. He seems to be heading towards brumation at the moment, he's staying in the hide until about lunchtime as opposed to 7am wake up! :)

20. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

He's a bit young to go into brumation (6months old right?). Check the temps in the tank again, I had to up the wattage of the basking bulb today bacause of the cold snap. Are you using digital temp gauges? the stickon ones are no good.

21. trapieter

trapieter Member

yea I was going to the same, too young. he's just being lazy lol no excuse if your temps etc are fine. mines been doing that lately but he's peeling and feeling sorry for himself so I'm letting him off a little, past miday and the hide comes off lol.
    but def check the temps... I've turned the heat up in the room to help compensate (I'm always cold anyway so gives me an excuse when the bill comes in :) it was for the beardies lol )

I don't think this weathe is helping any one over here :(

22. revgav

revgav New Member

This snow isn't helping me at all. I have the day off today and all my family back home are snowed in and I want to be there! We've got next to no snow here.
    Think manny's just being lethargic really. His lamp is up to 32 degrees and he's out of te hide atm. I'm going to keep an eye on him today. The heating being on is always a bonus!

I haven't got digital guages as yet but I will be in the next couple of weeks.

23. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

24. trapieter

trapieter Member

this is the digi probe I use. the reason I got it is because when I got my first viv it waas second hand from a friend who had his beardies for over 10 years the stiff was old but it was still as accurate as ever so I got them again, plus it keeps records of the temps and you can see both sides at the same time. I think you can get them cheaper of ebay. never seen the one taht wookie uses good price though.

hey does this sound like a wind up or what? my beardies are still together as had problems with our lining... it couldn't resist the heat so awaiting new backing.. anyway begee started off head bobbing at raptor and slowly running off, raptor was getting wound up and bobbing back (I'm thinking fight) but begee is being slow on this and steadily shifting off at the same time... then he goes and does a poo in raptors sleeping place whilst staring directly at him!! does some more head bobs and runs away lol! does that sound like he did that on purpose as a wind up or what??... oh dear looks like raptor wants revenge gotta go lol

25. revgav

revgav New Member

That has to be one of the funniest things I've seen. My thermostat won't go any higher than 32 for some reason but he's pretty ok now. He has done the biggest poo I've seen in a long time so could have been what was making him slow!

The digiprobes I saw on sale around here were 50 quid upwards........

Thanks wookie I may go for that one lol