How did you actually tame/calm/relax your Leos?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

My Kim is now over 3 months old, almost 4 months. She was quite calm and relaxed after I've had her for about 3 weeks and would let me touch her and remove skin from her toes... but now she's quite wild/defensive, she watches my hand as if it is a predator and has bit me and wouldn't let go for like 3 minutes..

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

That sounds a bit scary ! I have had my Leo for about 3 weeks or so - he has hissed and lunged at me the day after I got him so I left him for a week before I tried again. He's still a bit nervous but will let me hold him in the palm of my hand on the floor of his viv.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

So I have had Kim for about 2 months now... she was very sweet and curious and let me hold her about 3 times in the past and let me remove skin from her toes with a q-tip.

She is almost 4 months old now, vivarium conditions are perfect and she is healthy. About 3 weeks ago a family member's friend sprayed her with a water bottle I use to mist the humid hide, apparently he did it to her about 2 times over a few days. I don't know if that is why she is acting this way (she has been like this for quite a while). She lunges at my shadow and when I move she would move her head quickly to watch me, sometimes she's very calm but still is weary of my shadow...
    She has bit me once, didn't let go for about a minute but it's fine, I know she's an animal.

Any advice on relaxing or taming her? She's lovely and I would love if she could be relaxed and calmer...I try not to aggravate or startle her. It's kinda hard to put mealworms/roaches in her food bowl sometimes or to mist her humid hide because she is a bit defensive.

OH she loves watching me when I'm doing work, she would sit at the glass and watch me, sometimes even lie down on her stomach and watch me...so she is curious but yeah, if my hand is in the vivarium she can be quite different.

This looks so confusing, what I just wrote, thanks if you try to help.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leopardgran

Leopardgran New Member

How is Kim today Tim ? Any better ? What does she do if you just lay your hand in the viv for a minute or two but not anywhere near her - what does she do ?