How fat should a Leopard Gecko's tail be?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Oviraptor, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Oviraptor

Oviraptor Embryo

I've heard at least as big as it's head, is this true?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BigS06

BigS06 Member

As long as your leo is eating normally and everything you dont have to worry. Some have big tails, and others never get very large they all seem to have relatively diffrent body types.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

BgS06 is right about the body types, there are short fat Leo's and long skinny Leo's out there but the tail size really should be direct proportion to the head/neck area. An adult Leo's tail should be at least as fat as it's neck, up to as big as it's head. If it's an adult and the tail is not as least as fat as the neck there is probably an issue. Now, there is always the exception to the rule, but in general you should notice a symmetry between the head and tail.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Oviraptor

Oviraptor Embryo

Thanks guys, the tails on mine seem to be as big as their necks. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. scoop1

scoop1 New Member

my leo's tail is huge. it's like twice the size of his neck and i think a little bit bigger than his head.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Does this apply to babies and juveniles, too? Cause Jackie has a long way to go until his tail is as big as his head! <grin>

curiousKathy

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

No, not really. They should be in proportion, not rail thin tails, but they aren't going to be huge either. As babies they are using everything they get to grow and develop, the tails get plump, but not really fat. When they hit about 7-10 months the tails start to beef up, but not so much before that really.

13. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

Thanks, Clementine! We already tease Jackie about needing a miniature skateboard to carry his belly around on...if he had a tail as big as his head, we would have to get a bigger skateboard! GRIN!!!

curiousKathy

14. LeapinLeo

LeapinLeo New Member

Yeah just as long as they are eating fine your gecko should always have a fat tail. My geckos tail is about 3/4 the size of her head, but she is like what you guys said, long and skinny