how to find local reptile laws?

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by Blake_Herman, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

How do you go about finding out your local reptile laws? I've been trying to find info on my city, but I've come up with almost nothing. I'm somewhat nervious about just going into city hall and asking because I don't want to get in trouble for something I have or anything like that. I want to get the permits I need and i just can't figure out what that is...

I'm in Hewitt, TX, which is right on the border of Waco, TX. If anyone knows the laws here, I would love to hear them... But I would like to find them for myself as well. I've heard lots of rumors, but no one knows for sure. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Just call and ask. It's completely anonymous and they won't target you for asking. I can't seem to find anything online either.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HockeyHerper76

HockeyHerper76 Member

Ya, I tried finding stuff about herp laws too online and couldnt find jack...I thought about calling but I thought, well, as long as people dont complain, I'm fine.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. huhwhat

huhwhat New Member

As far as laws dealing with species of reps and amphibs that are native to Texas, you need to read Title 31, part 2, chapter 65, subchapter o of the Texas Administrative Code, which may be found here...

Commercial Nongame Permits

Pay particular attention to 65.331, which is affected species.

Other than that, there appear to be no specific laws outlawing certain species of reptile or amphibian.

See here...

Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blake_Herman

thank you very much huhwhat. That summary was a big help. do you know who they are (the people that have that website)? Cause some of that for other states seems wierd. It said that it's unlawful to own reptiles in California, but that's where so many herp shops are? I don't know, Texas looks great according to that website. I sure hope it's accurate... :wink:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. huhwhat

huhwhat New Member

These people really oversimplify things in their summaries. However, the best part of the site is that they give links to the actual laws for each state.

Here's a listing of what is actually restricted in CA for reptiles, according to the actual CA law...

(7) Class Reptilia - Reptiles

(A) Order Crocodilia - Crocodiles, Caimans, Alligators and Gavials All species (D).

:)D Family Chelyridae - Snapping Turtles All species (D).

© Family Elapidae - Cobras, Coral Snakes, Mambas, Kraits, etc. All species (D).

(D) Family Viperidae - Adders and Vipers All species (D).

(E) Family Crotalidae - Pit Vipers All species (D), except Crotalus viridis (Western rattlesnake), Crotalus atrox (Western diamondback rattlesnake), Crotalus ruber (red diamondback rattlesnake), Crotalus scutulatus (Mojave rattlesnake), Crotalus mitchelli (speckled rattlesnake) and Crotalus cerastes (Sidewinder) not restricted.

(F) Family Colubridae - Colubrids

1. Dispholidus typus (Boomslang) (D).
    2. Theoltornis kitlandii (Bird or vine snake) (D).

(G) Family Helodermatidae

1. Heloderma suspectum suspectum (reticulate Gila monster) (D).

In all cases, follow the links for your state to the actual laws for your state, and read them yourself.

As far as who they are, they seem to be your standard animal rights group. That doesn't mean I won't use their site, since they were kind enough to post links to all the laws for the US.

12. Blake_Herman

alright, thank you very much, I'll continue to look into that site... I am very serious about my reptiles and I want to do it the right way, so if I need a license for whatever, I want to get it... thanks again...

13. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

be aware that insects/arachnids may be covered under the USDA not the local guys