How's this for timing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Robes, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Robes

Robes New Member

So here's a story for y'all...

My girlfriend and I are both university students (I'll be graduating from engineering this year and my girlfriend is just transferring into her education program to become a teacher) and we've been working for the past four months at our summer jobs. We've been together for two years now and it's been wonderful, but this year is the first year she'll be going away for school so it's going to be different not seeing each other all the time. Since she is going away and we won't be together as much, we decided at the beggining of the summer (4 months ago) to take the last week of the summer off and just go on a short road trip over the border to Spokane (we're from Alberta) and spend 4 or 5 days together relaxing and basically doing nothing at all as a way to rest and spend some extra time together before the semester starts.

Now just before the summer started her grandma was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which is terminal, and given two months to live. This hit my girlfriend pretty hard since this is the grandma she was closest to while she was growing up and since they moved to Calgary (where I live) from up near Edmonton she hasn't seen her grandma as much as she has wanted to over the past couple years. So we've spent about half the weekends of the summer running up to edmonton to visit her grandma in the hospital, and for a while she was doing really well and things were looking up. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago her grandma had a relapse and her body basically started to shut down slowly. Now for me I was expecting this, I've had both my grandfathers pass away in similar circumstances and I've learned death is just another part of life, and in the end it's probably better for her anyways as she was in a great deal of pain and at some point it's just time to let go so she can be in a better place. My girlfriend and her family on the other hand took it really hard and have struggled to cope over the past few weeks. Her grandma passed away last night, God rest her soul. So instead of a relaxing week in Spokane with the girl that I love, I get to spend my last week before school consoling a mourning family and running back and forth between Edmonton and Calgary. Now this in itself doesn't really bother me too much, such is life and there's nothing my girlfriend, myself or anyone else could have done about it and I'm glad her grandmother isn't in pain anymore.

But here's the kicker, since we decided on this trip so long ago I made all the hotel reservations about three months ago. Since I did it so far in advance, I got a really good deal on room rates. I went with a king size executive suite room for the stay since if I paid up front it was actually cheaper than a lot of the regular room rates if booking only a few weeks in advance (basically half price). That being said, even with the large discount for paying up front and so far in advance, it wasn't exactly cheap and one of the clauses in the booking states that the reservations cannot be cancelled, changed, or rebooked for any reason whatsoever. Basically, if I can't show up for the reservations the money is non-refundable, no exceptions. Now like I said before, I'm a student so money is always tight. That being said, I think it's actually more upsetting that I don't get to spend the week on a carefree roadtrip with my girl than it is that I forfeit my hotel payments :roll: .

Anyways, just felt like telling someone my sap story even if noone gives two shiites :). Goes to show, Murphy's Law never fails!

Cheers,
    - Robes

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iNs0mNiAc

iNs0mNiAc New Member

RE: How

sorry to hear that buddy, why dont you try and auction the hotel room off? you wont get all your cash but some is better than none right! or even c if your gf wants to go, a few days away from it all might help her get over her garndmas death