hybernation

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by coldbloodedkeeper, Jul 4, 2004.

1. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

i am thinking about hybernating my turtles, should i ? and how should i if i should? i dont want them to die so i am very cautious about it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

What kind of turtles?

Where were they raised?

How is their health currently?

Sharon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. coldbloodedkeeper

three toed box turtles they were wild but one for 3, one for2, and one for1 year has been with me. they seem healthy their eyes are good they eat very well, and i havent had any problems what soever health wise.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Well, if they are wild caught, they will probably go right into their old instincts.

1 tort was wild for three years of its life?
    1 tort was wild for two yeers?
    and
    1 tort was wild for one year of its life?

OR
    1 tort was captive for the past three years,.
    1 tort was captive for the past two years,
    and
    1 tort was captive for the past year?

If you put these torts out in your yard, yard enclosure in the spring, by fall you should see them begin their hibernation act. Then its an act of trust, that you have fed them adequately & properly that they will survive the winter. Make sure wherever you house them, that they are able to burrow to the required depth to avoid freezing to death or to avoid being exposed to the occasional winter rain.

When my box turtle hibernate, I mark each "den" with a small colored rock, then toss in a couple of armloads of grass or hay. As winter moves on the hay gets beaten down to a super thin layer that is no problem for the torts to push their way through.

After I see all three out and about in the spring, I turn the soil over and semi bury most of the hay, seed the ground with their "food" and let nature take its course. (basically).

Good luck,
    Sharon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coldbloodedkeeper

okay they have been captive for 3,2,and1 years. would 2 feet be deep enough for them? thanks for your help.