I am getting a crestie!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by ReptileRookey, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ReptileRookey

ReptileRookey New Member

Okay, I need your help.

I ordered this cage.

it is 12x12x18, has a climbing backround, and I am getting tons of stuff for it.

I am getting the crested gecko meal powder at petsmart (but heres the thing:) I think my that it isnt the most tastey thing I suspect. can I feed him/her some chopped up fruit? If so, how about mushed banana, manga or somthing?

I need a feeding diet.

I am wiling to feed him a few crickets a few times a month, but I would rather just for the most part eat the powder or fruit. I heard you have to give a certain calcium in the food each month. What is it? Can I have a link to a seller or somthing?

I am getting one from petco/petsmart. 1. I am rescueing it from hell and I will nurse it back to health. 2. My dad said he really doesnt want to pay 50 dollars for shipping online for somthing that is already around 70 dollars. 3. I want a baby one so I can bond more. I went to a petsmart, and the dumbass hadnt even ever heard of a crested gecko. (He also worked in fish so I think he had no idea.) Do they sell them in any petsmart? How much are they usually?

Also! About training, (in a way I mean) I have a leo and I have to pick him up to get him to me usually, But how can I get my crest to jump onto me or be able to take food from my hand gently?

I heard that if their tails fall off, they dont grow one back? I also heard when they are babies, they cant be handled as much or they might loose their tail? How can i train or bond then? I want to feed him outside his cage so he jumps on me or knows its food time. Is this tank okay?

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptil...lass-terrarium/

For a year or two just like my leo, if he grows too big, we most likely will order another, but I think it is just fine if he has the right surroundings.

Should I spray tap water or filtered water via fridge? How many feedings a day? How long should I daily handle him? Any precautions or warnings?

Cage should be here on weds or tues, lizard next weekednd.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

I cant believe I missed this post.
    I am sorry no one has been able to help you.
    As I am at work and on my blackberry I cant give you a full response.
    I will be sure to reply when I get home.
    I hope some one can help you in the mean time.

Robert

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ReptileRookey

ReptileRookey New Member

Re: RE: I am getting a crestie!

Thanks, take your time, I still have a few days before the cage comes! (IT TURNS OUT *sad Rookey*)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. katstar

katstar New Member

RE: Re: RE: I am getting a crestie!

I'm not an expert, but maybe I can help a bit...I think that tank should be fine, thats the one I had mine in when he was small. I live in Canada, and here they sell them at Petsmart, not sure about where you live though. Cresties will lose their tail if they feel threatened or if they get hurt (one baby in the store my sister works at dropped its tail just because someone looked in the tank), and no the tail won't grow back. I think maybe babies may be more nervous than adults, and especially when they're being moved to a new home. As far as handling goes, I wouldn't pick it up for a few days when you first get it to get it used to its surroundings, and to take it slow, put your hand in the tank near it, let it get used to you before you try and pick it up. To get him to jump on you when you want, I think it may take time, I've had mine for 3 years and he's just started doing this now. They can be pretty easy going lizards though. As for diet, I think every person has something different that they prefer, for mine I feed him organic baby food (usually apricot or blueberry) and mix it with the crested gecko diet every day, and once a week he gets a dozen crickets. I was told once by a breeder that most lizards won't eat right after being handled, so i don't think it would be the best idea to try and get him to eat when you're holding him. But they usually eat well after you mist them, it seems to make them a bit hungrier. For misting, with mine I put a calcium supplement in the water that also removes chlorine, seems to be working fine. Make sure the temps in your tank don't get above 82 degrees or the crestie will go into shock, usually around 75-78 degrees is fine (room temperature ish) some people tell you to use florescent lighting for them, some ppl don't I couldn't tell you for sure whether you should or not, I use it, but it may not be necessary. Make sure you get lots of plants and things for it to climb on and hide in...There's care sheets on this site that have really good info, you should give them a read...hope this helps, as I said I'm no expert, I just know what's worked for me so far!
    Also, if you need a heat lamp for whatever reason, be careful with it around that background, I had that tank, and a low wattage heat lamp for when it gets cold (Canada...it gets COLD) and I had it near that rock wall, and the wall started to melt. Good thing I caught that in time! I think think the bulb may have been a bit too hot also.
    Have fun with your crestie! They're pretty awesome to have around.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: I am getting a crestie!

->"it is 12x12x18, has a climbing backround, and I am getting tons of stuff for it." I suppose this is the exo-terra enclosure. Wonderful cage, I can't prase it enough. The only problem with it is actually the foam background. Crickets nibble on it and then your gecko gets styrophome filled bugs. Plus the crickets climb up and can fall behind the back where the wires can travel....then they get stuck and die and make a smelly mess. All mine have the backgrounds taken out. The 12x12x18 is only a 10 gallon and will work for your gecko for awhile. But it will eventually need to be moved up to a 20 gal. in the exo-terras that is a 18x18x18. (or anything larger)
    ->The powder diet. Some geckos love it, some don't. It depends if the gecko has been brought up on it. Yes you can feed it fruit. Mash up any non-citrus fruit and supplement it with multi-vits and calcium and you can feed that along with crickets. Mangos, bananas, apricots, pears, peaches, strwberries, blueberries, (even figs). put it in a food processor and mush it up.
    ->Certian calcium?? Not sure what you are looking at. If you are looking for a supplement, I use rep-cal and you can find it in any petstore. The powder diet (called Crested Gecko Diet or CGD) is a meal replacement. So he really does not need the crickets. Then you can feed him the fruit once in awhile along with crickets.
    ->as to where and how much we have to know location. In Calgary we see a few cresteds in some petstores, but they range from 130-200. Down in the states I don't know how hard they are to find, but I do know they are cheaper.
    ->"Training" Handle frequently. Just pick them up by the waist or manuver them to the top and try to get your hand under their chin. They will then usually climb on. As for hand feeding just put some on your finger and they lick it off. If it does try to bite you it doesn't hurt - its more of a shock. I have heard not to handle under the age of 4 months and I personally think that is a load of crap. I did that for my first two and one of them is vertually unhandlable while the other is a crazy reptile. All the ones I have handled since I had them (usually sold around 6-8weeks) are fine and will stay calm around me. If you don't handle them they will get used to not getting picked up and will be skittish. Some can calm down, but some will not. Handle in short periods of time for smaller ones and the time can increase as they grow. I have never been able to teach any of my crested to come to me. They know when they are getting food, but will wonder to where the food is put down and wait. Like I said exo-terras are awsome
    ->They will become full grown within a year, and therefore will need a larger enclosure by the time they are a year.
    ->I spray with tap water - you just get thouse horrid water spots. I don't see a problem with filtered water?? But you could also put tap water in a big jug and leave the lid off and that will allow all the minerals that make the spots to evaporate. I leave food in all the time. They will eat what they want and leave the rest. Crickets are when ever you want. For younger geckos they will eat alomost every night. Adults probably 3-4 times a week. Like I said i leave food in all the time so they eat whenever they want and will ignore it when they are not hungry. Handling. Couple minutes after you get him. Let him settle in and then work up the handling. You can usally tell when they want to go back. They get more jumpy than usuall. My hatchling i try for 5 minutes max. Adults 30 minutes or longer. One of my guys will sit on my shoulder for hours so it depends on your gecko.

WARNING: THESE GECKOS ARE ADDICTIVE!

Good luck! And be sure to post pictures when you get your gecko

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ReptileRookey

ReptileRookey New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: I am getting a crestie!

Hope they sell GCD at petco or w.e.

Yeah the tank NEVER EVEN SHIPPED.

something with prices, it should come in another week, its christmas so I think they will all be sold so I have to wait atleast 3 more weeks.
    '

I already have a name

Cheeks.

Oh yeah,

My room is always no matter what at around room temp.