I have a few questions about Barking Tree Frogs

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by smiley, Nov 1, 2005.

1. smiley

smiley Member

I have a few questions.

I have a barking tree frog that I've had for a few monlths. I haven't had a UVB light on him since I had read they don't need them because they are nonturnal [oops] and they hide in the trees during the day. Well I have read something on here about them needing the light so I put a UVB lihgt on him. Whats everyone's opinion on this?
    Also I read that the water cond you use shouldn't have anything for slime coat in it. but when I looked at the stuff they sell for frogs it has something to help stimulate the slime coat. Your input please.
    Also I read that the UTH is the best way to go but I also checked some of them out in the stores and they are not recommended for frogs because the water spraying may cause the glass to break.I'm using heat lamp which is drying but I don't know which way to go.
    I also bought a hydrometer that is registering 60 but it registers that even after I give a good misting and water of the plants inside. Do you think it's faulty?
    What do you think is the best stuff to put on the bottom of the tank I have read many different things.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. smiley

smiley Member

just wanted to change one thing.

I checked the hydrometer today and it is on 70 so it does work I'm just impatient. I need to work to get it higher though. Huh?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. smiley

smiley Member

barking tree frog info.

Are barking tree frogs very different form white tree forgs? The reason I am asking is that I am finding alot of info on the white tree frog on this forum.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I merged these since they were related and posted by the same member. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. smiley

smiley Member

Thanks so much I hate having to do that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. smiley

smiley Member

I was hoping someone could answer some of my questions. Please give me some info.

12. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I really don't know much about barking tree frogs but this site may be able to help you out on setup, etc. If I were you I'd also search for more info on Googlel. I don't know the reputation of this site(it may be really good, I just don't know) I've linked to and in a situation like that it's best to read from as many resources as you can since there is so much bad info on the net. Good luck with your frogs!! :eek:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/barking.html

13. smiley

smiley Member

Thanks so much for helping me out. I can't seem to find the correct humid reading for these quys. Can someone tell me what it is for reg. tree frogs and I can go with that?
    Also what type of heat do you think is best for tree frogs in general?

14. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Again I don't know how accurate this info is since I don't know much about green eyed tree frogs either but I saw a humidity requirement of 80-100%. Sorry I can't help you more than that. Good luck! :eek:

15. outcold720

outcold720 Member

16. smiley

smiley Member

thanks so much!

17. mhwc56

mhwc56 New Member

Smiley
    I'm sorry this response is so late but maybe it'll still help?
    Barking Tree Frogs (Hyla gratiosa)require the same general care as American Green Tree Frogs. They don't need any UVB lighting and if you are keeping them indoors where you live and in average room temps you shouldn't need to use a UTH either. Remember, they are native to the southern states as well as Maryland and Delaware where winters can get down below zero every few years ,though average winter temps usually don't go below 0 degrees. My Frogs all do fine with temps running between 65 and 80 degrees( My frogs tank is a foot from a window so they get some sun during the day that heats their habitat up to 75-80 during the daytime this time of year and then at night it'll drop down to 65-70 . They eat well on fruitflies, crickets, occasionally just shed mealworms and on the rare occasion they also get waxworms. In fact they seem to be doing real well as I have a couple males who are acting as if they would like to sweet talk some females to join them for some hanky panky ......Anyway, I hope this has helped or you already found what you needed before now.