I need some help, something is wrong...

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by mariahb, Feb 1, 2014.

1. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

This is my first time have a green anole or any reptile for that matter. I have a baby anole.. he is about the lenght of my fingure, not including his tail. When I picked him he was the greenest on there, not skinny, not hidding. perfect. I have him in a 10gallon tank. I have a coil UVB bulb on one side and a basking light on the other above a tree. When I got him and put him in my tank he turned brown and never went green again. I had the humidity sitting at about 70% if not a bit more and the temp at 27. after about a week of that, I wanted to change it and see if maybe he wasnt use to that much humidity. The tank he was in didnt have much light on it and it was quite dry. I took the wood off the top that I had to keep humidity in. The humidity has been sitting at about 50% to 60% I would say.the temp is basically the same might have dropped a degree. it doesnt get colder then 20 in there at night. I have only had him since the bigining of this month (january). I had the tank set up for 4 days to make it perfect before i went and got him. He was eating 2-3 crickets a day. everyday. I would do the shake and bake thing on them on mondays wednesdays and fridays. it also has D3 in it along with the calcium. Since the humidity and temp change he has been green more but still is brown most of the day. He does move around and hanges from the top on the metal sometimes. He hasnt eaten for at LEAST a week. he lets the crickets crawl right beside him and touch him. he use to hunt them down. now he is becoming VERY skinny... what do I do??? The substrate is called plantation soil.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

I forgot to say that my lights go on at 7:30Am and off at 7:30pm. I have them on a timer. I dont usually feed him or spray the tank until about 10Am everymorning. I dont think I am missing any more info... let me know if you need to know anything

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Reptiles get stessed from being moved. I would expect it to be brown still a week after picking it up. Perhaps try switching the prey item up. Don't use mealworms. I've had bad experiences with these and small anole species, they're hard for them to digest. Try Phoenix worms (I swear by them). I'd say the biggest problem was attempting to change things up soon after getting him, try and keep the humidity up at 70% or higher again.

Just my thoughts, assuming this is a green anole.

Let me know if it works. Someone else with a bit more experience might be able to add more info/advice (I'm more of a gecko/constrictor snake guy, but I have kept a couple anole species).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

I put the peice of wood back on which brings humidity up to 70%. I had it with that for two days and just today I added a little peice of wood to the other opening on the top so humidity goes to 80%. Yes he is a green anole, he goes green when he sleeps and since i put humidty back up, he is half brown half green. I make sure i spray the tank 2-5 times a day. Am i suppose to spray him also? I spray him 2-3 times a day.. he doesnt like it but he then licks the water off his face... which is good? I did go and buy I think they are wax worms or somthing? I know mealworms are bad for them. They came in a can and are a dark red/black color. I cut them into three. I left them in there for 2 days and he didnt touch them. I still put 2-3 crickets in everyday and then after 3 days I move everything and take the dead ones out and take all the live crickets out but leave two. I have done lots of research on the internet but i dont know what to do about this. With the humidity back up.. will he eventaully eat? he is getting a bit skinny, like to the point where you can kinda see his ribs. he isnt terribly skinny but it worries me. again, he is the lenght of my fingure.. is 2-3 right sized crickets to much for him daily?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Amount of food sounds good, general rule, and I think this applies to a lot of lizard species, is that the crickets length should be roughly the same as the space between the lizards eyes. Anything bigger than this is probably too big. Generally speaking I think the food must be moving to stimulate a hunting response. Have you tried a little not of fruit? Mine are fruit in small pieces. Banana and raspberries were the favourites.

Mine weren't always green either, they generally only took on the colour when sleeping, however, colour isn't always the best indication of how stressed these guys are.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Just keep going at it the way you are for a bit and see what the results are. If it gets bad contact someone on here right away! It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong to me l.

12. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

Thank you for your wonderful help! so far things are looking good. yesterday i saw him eat a cricket. i have had the entire tip covered with wood since you guys told me to increase the humidity. he is a yellow with a bit of green bow most times. i think the humidity is around 80% ish. I am going to check and make sure he eats today also but i believe he us way better! again thank you guys! i thought i gave him enough time to get use to things.. seeings he wasn't in humidity at the store. :)

13. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

Its really weird. when i wake up, walk to his tank, he is brown. after i put crickets in he turns green. its like he knows there is now food even though he can't see it. usually the crickets hide on him right away and he just waits. for the cricket size, i buy 3 week crickets. i guy 25 count but they is usually about 60 in there. i have a large and small cricket keeper and when i get crickets i but the biggest in the hit cricket keeper and the rest in the small. the ones in the big cricket keeper are about 4 weeks id say... they look a bit big bit that's what i have been feeding him. * he just got a cricket* when the big cricket keeper is empty, depending how many i have in there i sort the size once more or i put them all in the large one. usually when the small one is empty i got and but more... something went wrong last run because when i went to get some from the small one which i keep in a huge bucket since they manage to get out... there was only a few alive. i have no idea what happened. i have that hour no drownd water and then feed hard cat good and fish flakes since those are two easy things i have on hand. i was feeding potato but they didn't seem to interested after putting it in there the second time

14. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

My lizard won't eat baby fish by any chance will he? like if i were to put a few in his water bowl?

15. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

No they won't eat fish. I don't recommend them as a food source. Good to see it's doing better, keep it up!

16. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

He is still doing great! :) i have removed his tree that i have under the basking light... all the crickets go in there and huff on the inside lip. i can find almost a weeks worth of crickets in there. i plan on putting his favourite stick up in the corner with the basking light. i had the stick leaned up against the tree and he was always on the stick never the tree anymore. a question about crickets... i get two week crickets for him, sometimes 3 weeks. just depends what store i go to. with the crickets, i bought a container of 25 and there was just about 150 maybe 200 in there.... it was crazy!!! i had to put them all in my small cricket keeper since only bigger ones (usually about 10 from each time i buy) go into the big one so i use those first before they are to big. why do crickets die so easy? i have two things that hold that blue non drown water gel and then in the center i had cat foot and fish flakes. its basically all gone.. i am going to add more today. going to clean it all up and stuff. there are about half the crickets dead on the bottom where the food is... why so many??? it just amazes me how they die so fast!!

17. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Me too! So how well is he eating them now?

18. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

Quite good. he was eyeing the crickets up today. i don't think he really ate today. i will check tomorrow but yes, he has been eating every day

19. mariahb

mariahb Embryo

I watched him eat four yesterday. i have been putting 6-7 in since there are a lot of crickets right now... hard to not get a lot in there haha . bought a pack of 25 2 week olds and they are still going. I got over 200 in there!! some are getting to big so i am going to size them again for the third time so he eats the bigger knew first so the small ones grow a bit more. also to add more food and gel. question: why is Sherman (lizard) not growing? i have only had him for two months and 10 days but he hasn't grown at all... i really wanted to buy a full grown guy. they basically sell all of then within two days (7-8 lizards). both times before and after i got mine they had full grown :( when should i see him grow? his body is the length of a figure (girl finger)and then his tail which is basically that same length. oh!!! also he shed about 2 weeks ago!