I will be starting a pet store in northern california....

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Cavemanpets, Aug 19, 2006.

1. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Jesus, a 50 gallon tank for one leo??? Yeah, you should be able to buy 1-2 females and hopefully get some eggs. Bearded Dragons aren't hard to breed, but require alot more money to keep than corn snakes. If your heart is set on beardies, then I say go for it. It's going to be more expensive to start, but in the long run it'll be worth it. Then again, corn snakes are cheaper than beardies, so you would probably sell more of them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cavemanpets

Cavemanpets Well-Known Member

well i plan on having six species, i will definately go with the corn snakes, i always thought they were cool.... and certainly will go with leos.... do you have any ideas about like incubation, something that i could use for most if not all of the eggs i get, i dont want to have like 6 tanks for the adults then 6 tanks for the babies and then 6 incubators or something... that would take up alot of space.... but if it was necessary id do it... :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

You could make a big incubator from a refridgerator, instead of having a bunch of small ones. And here is an article on incubating leo eggs...
    http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm

And definately breed your own rats. They make great pets as well, especially the males. It's very easy to breed rats.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Lol my brother agrees with you on that, Janice. And his was accidental :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

The fridge incubator is a good idea. You would probably be able to get away with a dorm fridge...Vermiculite is the most preferred incubating substrate as it retains moisture very well. I have also heard of people using moss and dirt. I would stick with the vermiculite though, it works for all my reptiles.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cavemanpets

ok... yeah im not sure if im gonna sell rats and hamsters... im thinking i might open the store as a reptile store... that way i have less facts to remember....

12. aandbpetsokc

aandbpetsokc Embryo

I help run one of those mom and pop pet stores that you are talking about in oklahoma. My uncle owns it and i work for him. we sale just about anything we legally can including foxes, raccons, and coatimundi. however our best salers are live feeder mice and rats. other good things are keets and finchs people want the "cheap" stuff. fish gerbils and hamsters.

13. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

I've always wanted a fox or raccoon as a pet, but I heard they're a lot of work and they're illegal here.

14. Janice

If you are going to sell reptiles, you are going to have to sell what they eat. There are not many facts that go along with rodent breeding :eek:!

15. Janice

P.S. Please do not carry calci-sand, or keep your reptiles on sand "because it's a nicer display".

16. Cavemanpets

yeah youre right about there being little facts when it comes to rodent breeding... but i wouldnt want to breed them... i find them nasty.... personally.... and yes i know never to sell calci sand and stuff... besides i think the tile makes the display nicer because its alot prettier and comes in more fascinating colors/designs....

17. Janice

I think tile would look at lot better, too. Rats are actually really cool animals. They make great pets. Talk to anyone who owns one. You've just never been exposed to them, by the sounds of it.

18. mandatorychaos

mandatorychaos Member

I had a pet rat once that was pregnant (it was in a cage with all males at the petstore), it was the most exciting thing when all the little pink things were born.

19. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Definitely don't think you've been around too many rats lmao Rats are actually VERY clean rodents. Very intelligent and with the right breeding, very friendly and attached to their owner.
    My brother had a whole colony. I love them.

20. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Rats are THE BEST small pet. People always say eww gross the tail, the red eyes......I could say the same about a ferret, or gerbil. The fact is, Rats are more intelligent than most people would imagine. I have a WILD CAUGHT Hispid Cotton Rat, that gave birth to nine cute little babies. Although the WC mother would bite without hesitation, her babies (2 of which I kept) are the sweetest and most intelligent rats I have ever seen. I can put them on the ground and walk away and they will follow me. I can call their name and they will come (unless they're playing hide n' seek). I've even taught one of them to roll over so I can pet her belly. They eat basically anything I do, whether it's cake, steak, cheez-its, or even pasta. I am currently breeding them with a Curly Hair, and Dumbo Rat. The babies should be some beautiful Big Eared, Curly Haired, Camo rats with great personality.

-Tired of Typing-

-Richard

21. dannielle

dannielle New Member

I live in Nor Cal! What area are you thinking?

Carmichael needs more pet stores. We have 1 mom & pop shop and it's horrible, they overprice everything and keep their animals in tiny cages.

I would sell several kinds of geckos, corn snakes, panther chameleons, jackson chameleons, NOT veiled, because everyone carried veiled chameleons. I never see a Jackson in a pet shop.

If you are going to sell hamsters, please seperate the males from the females. The shop here puts them in this small enclosure, mixed, with very little fresh air. You can see the matted hair on the hamsters and rats because of how warm the enclosures are. It's sickening.

I love when a pet shop really knows their stuff. And takes the time to take care of the animals. It is a business, but compassion for the animals you are selling makes me want to shop at one place over an other.

Again, let me know where in Nor Cal you will be. I'd love some place new to shop for exotic pets. :)

22. c3powil

c3powil New Member

.................................................................uuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm........................................

23. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

24. Cavemanpets

Sorry bout the wait.... OK as far as rats are concerned.. i used to own one.. and i loved it alot but for some reason i just cant stand them... my bf owns two that are old and "falling apart" and two are new little tiny things... and they are cute... and very clean but i still dont like them... i know when i open my store i will have to start breeding things like that or at least buying them but ill deal with it when i get there....

My store will probably be opened in the chico/yubacity area... depends on where i feel it should be when i open it... i would love to look into your area Dannielle and i agree that pet store sounds AWFUL. I have decided however not to sell chameleons because well they are hard to keep from what ive been told... and from what ive read very hard to breed... ive decided to start out with 6 reptiles... 2 kinds of snakes.. probably corn snakes and garden snakes or something like that... 2 kinds of lizards... leopard geckos and i havent chosen a second... and two kinds of frogs probably a tree frog and i have always wanted a pacman.. they seem kinda cool.... and i guess i will probably sell parakeets, feeder fish and well possibly rodents as well (aside from feeders) From there i have no plans i hope to eventually be able to breed and sell over 10 kinds of reptiles... which i will probably have to keep in the store as i can in no way afford a place big enough to keep 20+ reptiles in... as i can barely afford a 1 bedroom apartment at this point.... and i have decided as for a mascot for the store i will probably get a dog or cat... hard to choose... will most likely get a small dog depending on what my living situation allows at the time....

25. iGorx

iGorx Member

any pictures on what building you planning to occupy?