I'm Getting a Red footed tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by sscarface104n, Sep 8, 2008.

1. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

I've finally decided that I'm going to get a red footed tortoise I'm going to be keeping him/her in a rubber maid container that a 60 quart which is 22.8x16.7x13.6 for now only until i finish building his/her new cage which will be 4x2x18". The baby red footed tortoise is 3" long so i figured it should be fine for at least 2 week which is how long it will take to finish the cage also will a Exo Terra Compact Fluorescent 10.0 Bulb work for the container that i will be using.When i finish the cage i will be using a Zoo Med 100 watt Power sun UV heat bulb I also wanted to know if i should add a heat pad or will the lamp work good by himself.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

a 10.0 would probably be overkill. so would the powersun for such a small tortoise. Keep it in the rubbermaid until its gains a little size.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

What I've bin looking for is a light bulb that gives off UVA and UVB if you have any suggestion I sure would appreciate it, also would you recommend me using a heat pad for his cages

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

id suggest a 5.0 bulb. you arent going to need a lot of heat. if you can balance it out between a heat pad and a bulb.. that would work.. just dont let the substrate get too dry or hot.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

I also wanted to know if you think i should keep the lid off the container when i use it and would a 5.0 florescent tube and a heat pad be all that’s needed also might i add my room aka reptile room is 80+F during the day 77+F at night but during the winter it 77-F during the day and 73F at night.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo

12. sscarface104n

sscarface104n Embryo